What Are the Differences Between Newton and Leibniz Calculus?

• Thread starter JEscribir
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Leibniz
In summary, the conversation discussed the request for links about Leibniz's theorems or a biography, as well as the differences between Newton's and Leibniz's Calculus. It was suggested to search for information on Leibniz through Google and Wikipedia, as well as the website scienceworld.wolfram.com.
JEscribir
I was wondering if anyone had any links that could show me some Leibniz theroems or maybe a bio.

Also, I was wondering, since I don't really know to much about Leibniz Calculus, what would be some major distinctions between Newton's and Leibniz's Calculus, if there are any? And what would be the perks between each distinction?
Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
The main difference between Newton and Leibniz, as far as calculus is concerned, is notation. The theories are the same. Try google to get lots of information about Leibniz.

okay, thanks

JEscribir said:
maybe a bio.

Whenver I want to read a biography about anyone my first move is always to check Wikipedia. I searched it this time for "Leibniz" and found an excellent biography: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leibniz. See also the section "External Links" at the bottom of the page for even more stuff to read.

1. What are some of Leibniz's most famous theorems?

Leibniz is best known for his contributions to calculus, including the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus and the Leibniz Integral Rule. He also developed the Law of Continuity and the Principle of Least Action.

2. How did Leibniz's theorems impact mathematics and science?

Leibniz's theorems revolutionized mathematics by providing new methods for solving problems in calculus and laying the foundation for the development of differential and integral calculus. They also had a significant impact on physics and engineering, particularly in the fields of mechanics and dynamics.

3. What was Leibniz's approach to developing his theorems?

Leibniz was a rationalist and believed in using logical reasoning to discover mathematical truths. He also emphasized the importance of using symbols and notation to represent mathematical concepts, which greatly influenced the development of calculus.

4. How did Leibniz's theorems differ from those of his contemporaries, such as Newton?

Leibniz and Newton both independently developed calculus, but they had different approaches and notations. Leibniz's notation, which uses the integral and derivative symbols, is still widely used today. Additionally, Leibniz's work focused more on the concept of infinitesimals, while Newton's work was more rooted in the concept of limits.

5. How are Leibniz's theorems relevant today?

Leibniz's theorems are still widely used and studied in mathematics, physics, and engineering. Many modern theories and applications, such as optimization and control theory, are built upon Leibniz's principles and ideas. Additionally, his approach to problem-solving and use of notation continue to be influential in the field of mathematics.