Projectile Launching: Calculate Speed to Pass Through Point

• Thread starter squid
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Projectile
In summary, the conversation discusses solving for the speed (s) at which a projectile must be launched with a given launch angle (a) in order to pass through a given point (x, y) while only considering the force of gravity (g) acting upon it. The equations for determining s are provided, but it is noted that there are limitations and potential errors when using them. The conversation ends with a solution being found using a different approach and making the gravitational acceleration positive.
squid
Given a projectile at position '(x0, y0)' and a launch angle 'a', at which speed must I launch the projectile to make it pass through a point '(x, y)', assuming that the only force that acts upon it is gravity (which causes acceleration 'g')?

I came up with the following:

vx0 = s * cos(a)
vy0 = s * sin(a)

x = x0 + vx0 * t
y = y0 + vy0 * t + g/2 * t^2

x = x0 + s * cos(a) * t
y = y0 + s * sin(a) * t + g/2 * t^2

s = -((x0 - x) * sec(a)) / t

y = y0 -((x0 - x) * sec(a)) / t * sin(a) * t + g/2 * t^2

y = y0 - (x0 - x) * tan(a) + g/2 * t^2

t = +- (sqrt(2) * sqrt(y - y0 - x * tan(a) + x0 * tan(a)) / sqrt(g)

But there's no point in going any further because of 'sqrt(g)', which is a square root of a negative value.
I tried doing it the other way around, but that also yields a complex solution.

Can anyone help me out with this?

Physics news on Phys.org
x = x0 + s * cos(a) * t

Try solving for t here, then plugging that into the other equation (the one for y). This way, you're solving directly for s, which is what the question asks for.

One thing though, when you solved for t, it's not the sqrt(g) you're taking, it's the square root of y - y0 - x * tan(a) + x0 * tan(a)) / g

which may or may not be negative in its entirety

That's what I was talking about when I said "I tried solving it the other way around".
Test it for origin point '(0, 0)', destination point '(100, 10)', angle '0.4' and gravitational acceleration of '-9.8'.
You get '-32.2793'.

[EDIT]

If I use a negative angle, the solution is positive!
All this time I was chosing angles which were pointing in the opposite direction, so the projectile coudln't reach the destination point, making the equation unsolvable.

Last edited:
I did it solving for t in the first equation, then did your test, and got an answer of 42.3ish I'll show you what I did

we're trying to solve for v:
x = x0 + v*t*cos(a)
y = y0 + v*t*sin(a) - gt2/2

Notice how I make g a positive constant, and subtract. This will avoid the confusion you had over taking the square root of a negative number... you were taking the square root of a fraction, then broke it up into top and bottom, when both of them were really negative (so you could have canceled the - signs, and been much happier).

So v*t*cos(a) = x - x0, meaning t = (x - x0)/(v*cos(a))

Plugging that into y = y0 + v*t*sin(a) - gt2/2 gives us:

y = y0 + v*sin(a)*(x - x0)/(v*cos(a)) - g/2 * { (x-x0)/(v*cos(a)) }2

Simplifying, we call x-x0 dX, and y-y0 dY (delta x, delta y. Don't confuse with calculus terms :) ).

dY = dX*tan(a) - g/2 * { dX/(v*cos(a)) }2

or g/2 * { dX/(v*cos(a)) }2 = dX*tan(a) - dY

g/2 * dX2/cos(a)2 * 1/(dX*tan(a) - dY) = v2

In fact, you'll notice how it's conveniently set up to make sense only when dX*tan(a) - dY > 0, because you can't get to every point from any point at any angle (try getting to (10, 100) from the origin with an angle of .1 radians, it doesn't work).

So the solution to my equation is:
s = +- (sqrt(g) * (x - x0) * sec(a)) / (sqrt(2) * sqrt(tan(a) * (y - y0)^2 - y + y0))
Is that correct?

[EDIT]

I get 42.3 as well!
I guess it is correct, then!
Your idea of making 'g' positive was brilliant!
Thanks! :D

Last edited:

What is projectile launching?

Projectile launching is the act of propelling an object, called a projectile, through the air with a force. This force can come from various sources such as a slingshot, a catapult, or an explosion.

How is the speed of a projectile calculated?

The speed of a projectile is calculated by dividing the distance travelled by the time taken. This is known as the average speed. However, in the case of projectile launching, the speed is also affected by factors such as air resistance, gravity and the initial velocity.

What is the importance of calculating the speed of a projectile?

Calculating the speed of a projectile is important for various reasons. It helps in understanding the trajectory of the projectile, predicting its impact and ensuring its accuracy. It also allows for the calculation of other important parameters such as the launch angle and the maximum height reached.

What is the formula for calculating the speed of a projectile?

The formula for calculating the speed of a projectile is: speed = distance / time. This formula can also be written as: v = d/t, where v is the speed, d is the distance travelled and t is the time taken.

How can the speed of a projectile be increased?

The speed of a projectile can be increased by increasing the initial velocity, reducing air resistance, and increasing the launch angle. Additionally, using a more powerful propelling force can also increase the speed of the projectile.