A woman carries a bucket to the top of a 40 m tower

• Thread starter iamkristing
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Tower
In summary: Therefore:The Attempt at a Solutiona) Now i assumed that ui=0 since there is no height and kf=0 since the woman stops at the top of the hill.now that gave me (m-20 kg)gh=1/2mv^2or (m-20)/m=v^2/2ghNow my problem here is I wasn't quite sure what the question was asking. I believe we already have the mass of the bucket and the water so I think the question just wants an equation with variables?
iamkristing
[SOLVED] a woman carries a bucket to the top of a 40 m tower...

Homework Statement

a woman carries a bucket of water to the top of a 40 m tower at a constant vertical speed. the bucket has a mass of 10 kg and initially contains 30 kg of water, but it leaks at a constand rate and only 10 kg of water are in the bucket at the top of the tower.

a) write an expression for the mass of the bucket plus water as a function of the height (y) climbed

b) find the world done by the woman on the bucket

Homework Equations

W= kf-ki

kf+uf=ki+ui

k=1/2mv^2

u=mgh

The Attempt at a Solution

a) Now i assumed that ui=0 since there is no height and kf=0 since the woman stops at the top of the hill.

now that gave me (m-20 kg)gh=1/2mv^2
or (m-20)/m=v^2/2gh

Now my problem here is I wasn't quite sure what the question was asking. I believe we already have the mass of the bucket and the water so I think the question just wants an equation with variables?

b) I used the equation above to solve for V, where m=40 h=40
V then =19.8 and i plugged that value into

W=1/2mv^2

=1/2(40)(19.8)^2=7841 J

now it seems this answer is nowhere near correct...any help would be appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
iamkristing said:

The Attempt at a Solution

a) Now i assumed that ui=0 since there is no height and kf=0 since the woman stops at the top of the hill.

now that gave me (m-20 kg)gh=1/2mv^2
or (m-20)/m=v^2/2gh

Now my problem here is I wasn't quite sure what the question was asking. I believe we already have the mass of the bucket and the water so I think the question just wants an equation with variables?
The question is asking you how the mass of the bucket (and the water in the bucket) changes with respect to height. So you want to express mass (m) as a function of height (y), m = m(y).

For the first part, you know that the vertical speed is constant, and the leakage is constant. Also you were given start and end values for the mass of the water so you can calculate how much water was lost in total. Therefore you can deduce that when half of the total lost water was lost, she was half way up, and when 3/4 of the total lost water was lost she was 3/4 up etc. So you can consider height and mass of water loss as directly proportional to one another:
[tex]h \propto m[/tex]

Therefore:
[tex]h = km[/tex]

Where k is some constant you can calculate from known values of height and water loss. That will get you pretty close to your answer, but what you need to find is an equation for the mass of the water left plus the mass of the bucket, I'll let you see if you can take it from here though.

For the second part, you could just say that since the water loss is constant, you can use the average mass of the water in the bucket plus the mass of the bucket and plug it into the formula:
[tex]GPE = mgh[/tex]

1. How long does it take for the woman to reach the top of the tower?

The time it takes for the woman to reach the top of the tower depends on various factors such as her walking speed, the weight of the bucket, and the steepness of the tower. However, assuming she walks at a constant speed and the tower is a straight incline, it would take her approximately 5-8 minutes.

2. How much work is done by the woman when she reaches the top of the tower?

The amount of work done by the woman is equal to the force she exerts multiplied by the displacement she covers. In this case, the force would be the weight of the bucket and the displacement would be the height of the tower. Therefore, the work done would be 40m x the weight of the bucket.

3. What is the potential energy of the bucket when it reaches the top of the tower?

The potential energy of the bucket at the top of the tower is equal to its mass multiplied by the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s²) multiplied by the height of the tower. This potential energy can be converted into kinetic energy if the bucket is dropped from the top of the tower.

4. How does the weight of the bucket affect the woman's ability to carry it up the tower?

The weight of the bucket directly affects the amount of force the woman needs to exert to carry it up the tower. The heavier the bucket, the more force she needs to exert, making it more difficult for her to carry it up the tower.

5. How does the height of the tower affect the woman's work and energy?

The height of the tower directly affects the amount of work and potential energy involved in carrying the bucket to the top. The higher the tower, the more work and potential energy are required to reach the top. This also means that more energy is needed to lift the bucket to a greater height, resulting in a higher potential energy at the top.