How to change the charging time (battery)

In summary, the conversation discusses the source being 120V DC with an internal resistance of 40 Ohms and the battery's emf being 10V with an internal resistance of 1kOhms. The question is posed about what can be added to the circuit to improve charging time. However, it is stated that adding more to the circuit will actually increase the charging time. It is also mentioned that a good rechargeable battery should have a high full cycle efficiency and that charging with 120 volts and getting 10 volts out is not ideal. It is noted that most batteries have a limit on how fast they can be charged and increasing voltage is typically the way to speed up the charge rate. The type of rechargeable battery will
quuker
the source is 120V DC with an internal resistance of 40 Ohms. the battery's emf is 10V with an internal resistance of 1kOhms. what can i add to the circuit to improve the charging time (faster charge)?

Physics news on Phys.org
Nothing, the more you put in the circuit, the longer the charging time.

One of the requirements of a "good" rechargeable battery is the full cycle efficiency. If you had a battery that could recycle 100% of the Coulomb charge, but took 14 volts to charge, with only 12 volts out (like a car battery), that is only 86% efficiency. If you charge with 120 volts, and get 10 volts out, that is a very poor efficiency.

Most batteries have a limit on how fast they can be charged, so you need to be careful. The normal way the charge rate is sped up is to increase the voltage. This is how the "smart" chargers for radio control model batteries work, they ramp up to a set amperage by increasing voltage, then periodically shut off the charge current and sample battery voltage.

A lot depends on what type of rechargeable battery it is. Different types require different charging circuits.

1. How can I increase the charging time of my battery?

One way to increase the charging time of a battery is to use a higher amp charger. The higher the amperage, the faster the battery will charge. However, it is important to make sure that the charger is compatible with your battery to avoid damaging it.

2. Can I decrease the charging time of my battery?

Yes, you can decrease the charging time of your battery by using a fast charger or a fast charging cable. These chargers have a higher amperage and can charge your battery at a faster rate. However, it is important to note that using a fast charger too often can reduce the overall lifespan of your battery.

3. What is the ideal charging time for a battery?

The ideal charging time for a battery varies depending on the type of battery and its capacity. Generally, a full charge can take anywhere from 2-8 hours. It is important to refer to the manufacturer's guidelines for the recommended charging time for your specific battery.

4. Can leaving my battery plugged in for too long affect its charging time?

Yes, leaving your battery plugged in for extended periods of time can affect its charging time. This is because the battery may continue to trickle charge even after it is fully charged, which can lead to overheating and reduce the battery's overall lifespan.

5. How can I maintain the charging time of my battery?

To maintain the charging time of your battery, it is important to follow proper charging habits. This includes using the recommended charger and not leaving the battery plugged in for too long. It is also important to avoid extreme temperatures, as they can affect the battery's charging time and overall performance.