Attributive Adjectives in Predicate Calculus

• Thread starter Dembadon
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Calculus
In summary, there was a short philosophical debate in a logic course regarding attributive adjectives and their impact on predicate calculus. The professor brought the discussion back on track and referenced a book he read in graduate school, but the author's name was forgotten. The first issue raised was the inability to claim the existence of fake diamonds without first having seen real diamonds. The second issue was the concept of a "fake unicorn" if unicorns are already considered fake. The question was whether a "fake x" can be considered an x. Further discussion included the possibility of conceptual existence and the definition of a fake as something resembling but fundamentally different from something else. The professor clarified that, for the class, fake diamonds are not considered diamonds. The debate
Dembadon
Gold Member
There was a short philosophical debate in my logic course today regarding attributive adjectives and the issues they present in predicate calculus. The professor brought things back on track before it got carried away, but I would like to get some help understanding a few issues I have that arose from the discussion.

Our professor referenced a book he read while in graduate school, but I forget the name of the author (I think his name started with a B). I will ask him and post it later if anyone needs/wants to see it.

Given the following statement:

There are fake diamonds.

My professor said that we are not allowed to infer the following:

There are diamonds.

My 1st issue: I don't see how one can claim that diamonds are fake without first having seen real diamonds. In other words, if fake is an imitation of another thing, how can you have an imitation of something that doesn't exist?

A fellow student used the following example to attempt to explain why the inference in my example is incorrect by saying, "Stating that fake unicorns exist doesn't mean that unicorns exist." This brought up my second issue: If unicorns are fake to begin with, then what the heck is a "fake unicorn"?

Physics news on Phys.org
I guess the question is: is a fake x really an x?

If a "fake x" is just a special case of "an x" (as could be argued in the case of diamonds) then the statement is something like "there are tall people, therefore there are people."
If not (as could be argued in the case of the unicorns) the statement is similar to "there are trees, therefore there are airplanes" which is not a tautology.

I guess you could argue that X doesn't have to physically exist, it just has to exist at least conceptually. For example;

This is my fake son

I don't have a real son but the concept and possibility are there.

When it comes to what it means to be fake I guess that a fake is something that resembles something else but is different in some fundamental way (usually it is also trying to pass itself off as that something). So providing you have a full description of what makes X X you could also have a description of what a fake X is.

Thanks for the responses. Sorry I've left this kind-of hanging, but I wanted to get the name of the author of the book from my professor so I could post the excerpt he showed us in class. However, today is Veteran's Day and the campus is closed, so I won't be in class again until Monday.

CompuChip said:
I guess the question is: is a fake x really an x?

If a "fake x" is just a special case of "an x" (as could be argued in the case of diamonds) then the statement is something like "there are tall people, therefore there are people."
If not (as could be argued in the case of the unicorns) the statement is similar to "there are trees, therefore there are airplanes" which is not a tautology.

My professor said, for the purposes of our class, fake diamonds are not diamonds at all. I'll have to ask him which branch of logic allows us to consider a fake diamond as "a special case of a diamond".

Ryan_m_b said:
I guess you could argue that X doesn't have to physically exist, it just has to exist at least conceptually. For example;

This is my fake son

I don't have a real son but the concept and possibility are there.

When it comes to what it means to be fake I guess that a fake is something that resembles something else but is different in some fundamental way (usually it is also trying to pass itself off as that something). So providing you have a full description of what makes X X you could also have a description of what a fake X is.

Those are interesting points for consideration, Ryan. I'll think about them and get back.

Ryan_m_b said:
Dembadon said:
I'll have to ask him which branch of logic allows us to consider a
fake diamond as "a special case of a diamond".
Yes Ryan and Dembadon, very interesting when you consider questions about the existence of reality and the theoretics that lead to these types of conclusions.

Roger Penrose talked about the Wick rotation during his debate with Stephen Hawking in "The Nature of Space and Time".
This a useful tool in QFT. One replaces t with it by means of a rotation of the time axis. This translates Minkowski space into Euclidean space.

Dembadon said:
Thanks for the responses. Sorry I've left this kind-of hanging, but I wanted to get the name of the author of the book from my professor so I could post the excerpt he showed us in class. However, today is Veteran's Day and the campus is closed, so I won't be in class again until Monday.

Well, in that case I'd argue as follows:
let D(x) be "x is a diamond" and F(x) "x is fake."

Then if fake diamonds are diamonds, you can express the proposition as
[tex]\left( \exists x: D(x) \wedge F(x) \right) \implies \left( \exists y: F(y) \right)[/tex]
however, you just told me that it should be read as
[tex]\left( \exists x: D(x) \right) \implies \left( \exists y: F(y) \right)[/tex]
which is subtly but crucially different.

Last edited:

1. What is an attributive adjective in predicate calculus?

An attributive adjective in predicate calculus is a word or phrase that modifies a noun or pronoun in a logical expression. It can specify a certain quality, quantity, or state of the subject in the expression.

2. How are attributive adjectives represented in predicate calculus?

In predicate calculus, attributive adjectives are typically represented using predicate symbols and variables. The predicate symbol represents the adjective, while the variable represents the noun or pronoun being modified.

3. What is the difference between an attributive adjective and a logical connective in predicate calculus?

An attributive adjective modifies a noun or pronoun in an expression, while a logical connective connects two or more expressions. Additionally, an attributive adjective is typically represented by a single predicate symbol, while a logical connective is represented by multiple symbols.

4. How can I use attributive adjectives in predicate calculus to express logical relationships?

Attributive adjectives can be used to express logical relationships between entities in a sentence. For example, the adjective "equal" can be represented by the symbol "=" and used to show that two entities are equal in value.

5. Can attributive adjectives be combined with other logical operators in predicate calculus?

Yes, attributive adjectives can be combined with other logical operators such as conjunction, disjunction, and negation in predicate calculus. This allows for more complex and precise logical expressions to be represented.