Got a girls number, what do I do next?

• Thread starter bugatti79
  • Start date
In summary, Jenny likes you and you are both interested in each other. However, you don't know whether she sees you as a potential BF or just a friend. You should text her in a day or two and just say that you'll be looking forward to getting together when she returns.
bugatti79
FOlks,

THis is probably a common question submitted to this forum.

I was chatting to a hot chick last night and I quite like her. I think we found a commonality thorught sports and fitness and she said she was keen to go for a run with me (2 weeks time as she's away).

I got her number and she has mine in her phone (Actually she suggested I take her number...what does this imply?)

The problem is I don't know whether she sees me as a potential BF or just a friend... We chatted for good while but nothing else happened. I didnt find any tell tales signs that she potentially likes me(maybe she was playing cool)

So what do I do...

• How do I suss out whether its just a friend thing?

• When do I text her, I don't want to make her think I am too keen.

In my experience, every time I meet girls (potential GF's in my mind) through my friends they always end just being friends. I always ask my self why and I think its because I am 'too nice' and do not have that xfactor that intrigues girls to say 'hes a potential BF'. So I am just wondering is this girl going to be the same thing...just a friend...

Physics news on Phys.org
The first thing you should do is pass it on to me. I'll take it from here.

You can't be too nice. Most women feel real attraction (not superficial) to nice guys.

Romantic feelings either happen or they don't. Just be yourself and see what happens.

If she said 2 week's time, wait 2 weeks to text her and just say that you're looking forward to taking that run, either suggest a time and place, or ask her for her preference.

If you want, text her in a day or two just to say that you'll be looking forward to getting together when she returns so that she knows you plan to see her again, and she's not left wondering. Personally, I would like this approach.

Last edited:
You can sing
Jenny, I got your number,
I need to make you mine.
Jenny, don't change your number,
8-6-7-5-3-0-9 (8-6-7-5-3-0-9)
8-6-7-5-3-0-9 (8-6-7-5-3-0-9)

Jenny, Jenny, you're the girl for me.
You don't know me but you make me so happy.
I tried to call you before but I lost my nerve.
I tried my imagination, but I was disturbed.
:rofl:
Jimmy Snyder said:

Be flirty. Treat a girl like a male friend => Friend zone. Flirt with her and definitely break the touch barrier sooner than later. Let her know your intentions through body language, if she doesn't seem to keen then next her

Jimmy Snyder said:

You wish...:-) Find your own girl..! :-)

hmzone said:
Be flirty. Treat a girl like a male friend => Friend zone. Flirt with her and definitely break the touch barrier sooner than later. Let her know your intentions through body language, if she doesn't seem to keen then next her

Good point...cant exactly do that when we go for a run :-)

Evo said:
You can't be too nice.

Just be yourself and see what happens.

Not sure I agree. For me to 'be myself' would just be a very average/boring guy which just doesn't cut it with girls...

Yea, of course ultimately women want to be with a nice guy in the long term but being 'nice and unchallenging 'doesnt work at the very initial stages of the dating game where you have to put on a show etc to impress them especially for good looking women because they are probably bombarded with average guys approaching them the whole time...

bugatti79 said:
Not sure I agree. For me to 'be myself' would just be a very average/boring guy which just doesn't cut it with girls...

Yea, of course ultimately women want to be with a nice guy in the long term but being 'nice and unchallenging 'doesnt work at the very initial stages of the dating game where you have to put on a show etc to impress them especially for good looking women because they are probably bombarded with average guys approaching them the whole time...
Works on me every time. And for my daughters too, and for their friends. What is this myth that good looking women are stupid and shallow and are impressed by fools?

Evo said:
You can't be too nice. Most women feel real attraction (not superficial) to nice guys.
This is true if by "nice" you mean attentive, respectful, concerned, etc. but only from a position of not having to be. When I was in college there was a famous case of the very average guy who had snagged an unbelievably gorgeous girlfriend. I asked around about it and found out she'd told someone he was the only guy she'd ever met who respected her as a person and wasn't just out for her body. Observing him, though, it was clear he also projected the confidence of someone who would not crumble into a heap and die if she dumped him. He seemed like his own person, like he owned himself, like he had a life focus. That is really the only reason his attention and respect meant anything to her.

zoobyshoe said:
This is true if by "nice" you mean attentive, respectful, concerned, etc. but only from a position of not having to be. When I was in college there was a famous case of the very average guy who had snagged an unbelievably gorgeous girlfriend. I asked around about it and found out she'd told someone he was the only guy she'd ever met who respected her as a person and wasn't just out for her body. Observing him, though, it was clear he also projected the confidence of someone who would not crumble into a heap and die if she dumped him. He seemed like his own person, like he owned himself, like he had a life focus. That is really the only reason his attention and respect meant anything to her.
Confidence is good, but I'm also attracted to guys with asperger's, go figure.

Evo said:

Asperger as in lack of confidence? Or just being shy around people?

bugatti79 said:
So what do I do...

She has extended the offer of wanting to get to know you better. You're not going to turn her off by taking her at her word.

But one thing to note: at this point there is no "just a friend thing". Your next date might develop into more, but for now, you're just getting to know each other. "Friends" and "more than friends" are indistinguishable at this point.

And don't text her. :grumpy: Call her.

bugatti79 said:
You wish...:-) Find your own girl..! :-)
Now why can't my wife take a rational view like that?

Evo said:
Heh.

I like Serena said:
Asperger as in lack of confidence? Or just being shy around people?
Neither. They just happened to have Aspergers, I didn't know it in the beginning. They were both very smart, one was brilliant, but both were extremely argumentative, both lacked social skills. One had to check out potential meeting places in advance and have his "escape" route planned for when he'd get overwhelmed. And then he'd back out altogether.

Evo said:
Neither. They just happened to have Aspergers, I didn't know it in the beginning. They were both very smart, one was brilliant, but both were extremely argumentative, both lacked social skills. One had to check out potential meeting places in advance and have his "escape" route planned for when he'd get overwhelmed. And then he'd back out altogether.

That must be a bit frustrating. I guess you have a level of patience and understanding to a degree that it would not affect your own confidence, to the point where you yourself would be soul searching and questioning your decisions, wants and desires. The best to you.

So what do I do...

How do I suss out whether its just a friend thing?
When do I text her, I don't want to make her think I am too keen.

You want to make her think you are keen on her. You want to make her think you are interested in her, whether that be as a friend or as something that might develop. You are keen on her so quit trying to over rationalize. Text her to say hi, and when she comes back call her up to do some of the things you mentioned together.

Evo said:
You can't be too nice.
This is both true and untrue at the same time. The issue is what is perceived as "nice". For instance many "nice guys" feel as though they should leave the decision making up to the woman, that this is being "nice". Women do not typically consider this being "nice". Many women consider it frustrating. They will tend to expect you to at least participate in a decision making process if not make decisions about where to go and what to do on your own (a good way to see what sorts of decisions you make and if you consider them in the process). Attempting to know and consider the woman in your decision making is considered "nice"; attempting to "allow" them to make the decisions is not generally considered "nice".

The individual situations will vary but typically women prefer men who are confident. Most self described "nice guys" are not very confident and will act in a "weak" manner which they feel is being "nice" though the woman may not necessarily consider it as such. They may consider it patronizing, frustrating, or just plain disappointing. Respect and consideration are basically all you need to be considered "nice". Don't go too far.

Someone said not to treat a woman as you do your guy friends. That, I suppose, is up to you (and perhaps dependent on how your treat your guy friends) but treating a woman as though she were special because she is a woman is not necessarily the way to go. Women are people just like any guy friend you have. Treating them like normal people is not going to be a bad thing. And approaching her as a normal person rather than "OMG a Cute GIRL" will probably help you feel more comfortable and confident.

DaveC426913 said:
And don't text her. :grumpy: Call her.
And don't listen to Dave. Most young ladies today will have no issue with you texting them. It makes for a fairly good nonchalant manner of contact. The way phone etiquette goes these days, if you were to prefer an actual voice conversation, I would actually suggest texting her to make sure she is free to talk first. And as a personal preference (which I have found some women are appreciative of) don't use text speak.

TheStatutoryApe said:
This is both true and untrue at the same time. The issue is what is perceived as "nice". For instance many "nice guys" feel as though they should leave the decision making up to the woman, that this is being "nice". Women do not typically consider this being "nice". Many women consider it frustrating. They will tend to expect you to at least participate in a decision making process if not make decisions about where to go and what to do on your own (a good way to see what sorts of decisions you make and if you consider them in the process). Attempting to know and consider the woman in your decision making is considered "nice"; attempting to "allow" them to make the decisions is not generally considered "nice".
One can be nice, as in polite, considerate and thoughtful, and be assertive/confident. I believe that is the point that Evo was making.

Astronuc said:
One can be nice, as in polite, considerate and thoughtful, and be assertive/confident. I believe that is the point that Evo was making.

I do think that is what Evo meant. I am just unsure whether our self described "nice guy" OP would understand. I know I was a "nice guy" growing up. I had very strange ideas of what it meant to be "nice" to women. And quite a few young men who are "nice guys" seem to have similar trouble.

TheStatutoryApe said:
I do think that is what Evo meant. I am just unsure whether our self described "nice guy" OP would understand. I know I was a "nice guy" growing up. I had very strange ideas of what it meant to be "nice" to women. And quite a few young men who are "nice guys" seem to have similar trouble.

Perhaps because there is a fine line between "nice" and "overly self-effacing".

One's a turn-on, one's a turn-off.

bugatti79 said:
FOlks,

I was chatting to a hot chick last night and I quite like her. I think we found a commonality thorught sports and fitness and she said she was keen to go for a run with me (2 weeks time as she's away).

I got her number and she has mine in her phone (Actually she suggested I take her number...what does this imply?)

The problem is I don't know whether she sees me as a potential BF or just a friend... We chatted for good while but nothing else happened. I didnt find any tell tales signs that she potentially likes me(maybe she was playing cool)

So what do I do...

In my experience, every time I meet girls (potential GF's in my mind) through my friends they always end just being friends. I always ask my self why and I think its because I am 'too nice' and do not have that xfactor that intrigues girls to say 'hes a potential BF'. So I am just wondering is this girl going to be the same thing...just a friend...

I've highlighted in red what you wrote because I would like you to focus on that. :smile: Hopefully, you will have a pleasant run with the girl in the upcoming future.:smile: Obsessing about what may happen prior to the event is in my opinion a waste of time and energy. The future of a relationship is not made up of *predictions* as far as I am concerned. Relax and enjoy each day as it unfolds.

Last edited:
DaveC426913 said:
Perhaps because there is a fine line between "nice" and "overly self-effacing".

One's a turn-on, one's a turn-off.

"Nice": "I'd love to take you to this great restaurant I found - are you available Saturday evening?"

"Overly self-effacing": "Would you like to go out with me, maybe dinner or something? Like, this Saturday, maybe?" (she agrees) "Great, so where would you like to go?"

A couple more things:

Follow through! If you say you're going to do something, do it! I can't stress enough how important this is. Lack of follow-through is a major turn-off. Trust me.

Have a plan! Don't just throw an evening together willy-nilly and cross your fingers, hoping it will work out. You need to make sure it works out. Have a plan for unexpected events (weather, closures, timing, etc) and allow for adjustments. You want the date to flow smoothly. It is very important to have things figured out before-hand so you aren't left flailing with nothing to do when plan A doesn't work out. Inadequate planning is a great way to kill a potentially good date, and maybe even a relationship.

hmzone said:
Be flirty. Treat a girl like a male friend

What if the guy isn't flirty with his male friends?

bugatti79 said:
Good point...cant exactly do that when we go for a run :-)

Well surely you 2 are going to do other things than running? Once you're sitting alone with her then start flirting abit. Maybe in the beginning compliment her a little and move on from there

bp_psy said:
What if the guy isn't flirty with his male friends?

I hope you're kidding. Read what i wrote more carefully

TheStatutoryApe said:

The individual situations will vary but typically women prefer men who are confident. Most self described "nice guys" are not very confident and will act in a "weak" manner which they feel is being "nice" though the woman may not necessarily consider it as such. They may consider it patronizing, frustrating, or just plain disappointing. Respect and consideration are basically all you need to be considered "nice". Don't go too far.
Very good. Yes, big difference between nice and wimpy, and afraid to make decisions. Nice is good, wimpy and afraid, not good.

There are "nice" ways to handle things. When you ask her to dinner, don't just pick her up and head to a restaurant of your choice. Be nice and discuss it first. You've just met and you don't know much about her. Ask her if there is anything she doesn't like. (asking her what she likes can get too confusing) You don't want to take her to that romantic seafood restaurant if the smell of fish makes her sick. Knowing what she doesn't like allows you to make decisions with her in mind. That's nice and shows you can make decisions that are good for you both.

Last edited:
Evo said:
Very good. Yes, big difference between nice and wimpy, and afraid to make decisions. Nice is good, wimpy and afraid, not good.

There are "nice" ways to handle things. When you ask her to dinner, don't just pick her up and head to a restaurant of your choice. Be nice and discuss it first. You've just met and you don't know much about her. Ask her if there is anything she doesn't like. (asking her what she likes can get too confusing) You don't want to take her to that romantic seafood restaurant if the smell of fish makes her sick. Knowing what she doesn't like allows you to make decisions with her in mind. That's nice and shows you can make decisions that are good for you both.
Ask her if there's any particular place she likes or if there's a place that she's been meaning to go to but hasn't yet.

It's also good to find out if one's prospective date has some dietary restrictions/preferences (it wouldn't go well to take a vegetarian/vegan to a steak house) or has any food allergies.

As others mentioned it's only time to get to know each other better.

Jimmy Snyder said:

Jimmy Snyder said:
Now why can't my wife take a rational view like that?

Thanks for the tip folks.

I think I will text her tomorrow or wednesday just to say hi and maybe stop her wondering am I going to text her. Then suggest places 2 go for a run...if we meet up and all goes well il make a further step regarding an evening out and taking into account being 'correctly' nice :-)

I won't be taking any advice off Jimmy Snyder anyway...lol.

bugatti79 said:
Thanks for the tip folks.

I think I will text her tomorrow or wednesday just to say hi and maybe stop her wondering am I going to text her.

Dialing finger busted?

Evo said:
Aha! Having Asperger's has it's advantages. :smile:

bugatti79 said:
FOlks,

So what do I do...

Don't be nice, don't be a jerk. Be yourself. Be honest with yourself about what you want. Be honest about what her body language is telling you. When a women "wants" you, it shows in her body language and in how she looks at you; she will act very attentive. If she's not "attentive", it could mean she's developing her social status and you're just another guy.

By all means, feel free to socialize any way you wish. But if you know what you want and you want it now, then I offer the following advice. If you're just looking for a fun time, then go night clubbing. But if you're looking for someone special, then sign up with a dating service. These are the easiest ways to meet people

Mazulu said:
When a women "wants" you, it shows in her body language and in how she looks at you; she will act very attentive.

but is this true though? iv never experienced anything like this...! I thought it is a case of impressing her with your feathers so to speak before she becomes attentive..! :-)

bugatti79 said:
but is this true though? iv never experienced anything like this...! I thought it is a case of impressing her with your feathers so to speak before she becomes attentive..! :-)

Do I have to state the obvious conclusion? ;)

Greg Bernhardt said:
Do I have to state the obvious conclusion? ;)

I see you have impressive feathers...if only I were like you...:-)

<h2>1. What should I text her after getting her number?</h2><p>It's always a good idea to start with a simple and casual text, such as "Hey, it was great meeting you earlier. How's your day going?" This shows that you are interested in continuing the conversation and getting to know her better.</p><h2>2. How long should I wait to text her after getting her number?</h2><p>There is no set time frame, but it's generally best to wait a day or two before texting her. This gives her some time to miss you and also shows that you are not too eager or desperate.</p><h2>3. Should I call or text her after getting her number?</h2><p>This ultimately depends on your personal preference and the type of connection you had with the girl. If you had a great conversation and feel comfortable, calling her can be a more personal and direct approach. However, if you're unsure or don't want to come on too strong, texting is a safer option.</p><h2>4. What if she doesn't respond to my text after getting her number?</h2><p>Don't panic or assume the worst. She may be busy or not in the mood to talk at the moment. Give her some time and try again in a few days. If she still doesn't respond, it's best to move on and focus your attention on someone else.</p><h2>5. How do I ask her out after getting her number?</h2><p>Be confident and direct when asking her out. You can suggest a specific date and activity, or simply ask if she would like to grab coffee or go for a walk sometime. Make sure to also mention that you would like to see her again and that you had a great time getting to know her.</p>

1. What should I text her after getting her number?

It's always a good idea to start with a simple and casual text, such as "Hey, it was great meeting you earlier. How's your day going?" This shows that you are interested in continuing the conversation and getting to know her better.

2. How long should I wait to text her after getting her number?

There is no set time frame, but it's generally best to wait a day or two before texting her. This gives her some time to miss you and also shows that you are not too eager or desperate.

3. Should I call or text her after getting her number?

This ultimately depends on your personal preference and the type of connection you had with the girl. If you had a great conversation and feel comfortable, calling her can be a more personal and direct approach. However, if you're unsure or don't want to come on too strong, texting is a safer option.

4. What if she doesn't respond to my text after getting her number?

Don't panic or assume the worst. She may be busy or not in the mood to talk at the moment. Give her some time and try again in a few days. If she still doesn't respond, it's best to move on and focus your attention on someone else.

5. How do I ask her out after getting her number?

Be confident and direct when asking her out. You can suggest a specific date and activity, or simply ask if she would like to grab coffee or go for a walk sometime. Make sure to also mention that you would like to see her again and that you had a great time getting to know her.