External lateral parabrachial nucleus: where it is located?

• Thread starter B.H
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Nucleus
In summary, B.H is seeking help with locating the external lateral parabrachial nucleus (PBel) and the Dorsal lateral parabrachial (PBdl) for an assignment to draw a diagram of the brain. They inquire about the location of these areas in the brain stem and ask for any assistance. The response suggests trying a Google image search and provides a website for additional resources.
B.H
Hi,I have an assignment for school where I am supposed to draw a diagram of the brain and label some areas. However, I am having trouble locating the external lateral parabrachial nucleus (PBel) as well as the Dorsal lateral parabrachial (PBdl) (which I assume are in the same general area). Is it located in the brain stem? where specifically?

Any help would be greatly appropriated. Thanks for your time.

B.H

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Thanks!

What is the external lateral parabrachial nucleus?

The external lateral parabrachial nucleus is a region of the brain located in the brainstem. It is part of the parabrachial complex, which is involved in processing sensory information and regulating autonomic functions.

Where is the external lateral parabrachial nucleus located?

The external lateral parabrachial nucleus is located in the lateral tegmental field of the brainstem, specifically in the lateral parabrachial area. It is just above the spinal cord and below the pons.

What is the function of the external lateral parabrachial nucleus?

The external lateral parabrachial nucleus is involved in the transmission and integration of sensory information, particularly from the face, head, and oral cavity. It also plays a role in regulating autonomic functions such as respiration, blood pressure, and temperature control.

How does the external lateral parabrachial nucleus receive information?

The external lateral parabrachial nucleus receives information from several sources, including the trigeminal nerve, facial nerve, glossopharyngeal nerve, and vagus nerve. These nerves carry sensory information from the face, head, and oral cavity to the nucleus.

What happens if there is damage to the external lateral parabrachial nucleus?

Damage to the external lateral parabrachial nucleus can result in disruptions to sensory processing and autonomic functions. This can lead to symptoms such as altered taste perception, difficulty regulating body temperature, and changes in respiration and blood pressure.