Start planting trees on mars now

• Thread starter howabout1337
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mars Trees
In summary: Mars?In summary, starting to plant trees on Mars now would be a waste of time and resources because the climate is too hostile and the atmosphere is too thin to support trees.
howabout1337
Can we start planting trees on Mars now? Considering that there are so many tree species on Earth that lives in extreme conditions, at least one of them would survive on Mars right?

Imagine what Mars would be like in 50 years if we started doing this now.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
howabout1337 said:
Can we start planting trees on Mars now? Considering that there are so many tree species on Earth that lives in extreme conditions, at least one of them would survive on Mars right?

Trees doesn't even survive arctic climate on Earth and Mars is far more hostile. Maybe it would be possible with some extremophiles or genetic modified organisms but I think it would be a very bad idea to contaminate Mars with alien lifeforms.

I just thought if we start now, mars' atmosphere will be like Earth's in ten thousand years.

howabout1337 said:
I just thought if we start now, mars' atmosphere will be like Earth's in ten thousand years.

DrStupid said:
Trees doesn't even survive arctic climate on Earth and Mars is far more hostile.

I fail to see how a bunch of dead trees will help that.

howabout1337 said:

Mars' atmosphere will never be earth-like because there is not enough nitrogen. It might be possible to make it breathable or at least suitable for plants but terraforming Mars requires much more than just planting trees and would be even more unethical.

howabout1337 said:
It won't because you can't plant them there.
Trees need liquid water and nutrients in the ground, and lots of oxygen and carbon dioxide in the atmosphere.
You can't have liquid water in low pressure, low temperature environment. The nutrients have to be imported from offworld, as there's no bacteria, and little nitrogen in the air to produce them on site.
The atmosphere is so thin, it's almost vacuum. So even though there's lots of CO2 by percentage, there's almost none to use for building the actual tree and sugars to burn later for energy. There's even less oxygen for burning those sugars.

Have a read through this breakdown of tree physiology before proceeding:
http://mff.dsisd.net/Environment/TreePhys.htm

howabout1337 said:
Martian lacks a strong magnetic field - and I believe that is the most important reason that it would not be able to hold onto any atmosphere denser than what it already has.

http://science.nasa.gov/science-news/science-at-nasa/2001/ast31jan_1/

Mars isn't so fortunate. Lacking a planet-wide magnetic field, most of the Red Planet is exposed to the full force of the incoming solar wind. "The Martian atmosphere extends hundreds of kilometers above the surface where it's ionized by solar ultraviolet radiation," says Dave Mitchell, a space scientist at the University of California at Berkeley. "The magnetized solar wind simply picks up these ions and sweeps them away."

Plant 1trillion trees and they'll die before they can grow. There is radiation from the sun, extremely cold weather, and no water... The only way it can be done is to create a huge radiation proof dome that is filled with oxygen tanks. We can live on Mars but it has to be inside a protective dome. Teraforming a planet is a long way away I think.

Vanadium 50 said:
I fail to see how a bunch of dead trees will help that.
:rofl:

I propose we plant more trees on Earth first!

It could be possible to give Mars a magnetic field through man made means. Supposedly, we have made magnets that are just as powerful as Earth's magnetic field. And if you wanted to terraform the planet, you wouldn't start with trees anyway. You would start with algae, which is what is believed to have created most of the oxygen here. It uses far less resources, so it requires much less to survive, and could be genetically engineered to work in the environment on Mars.

The question remains, where do you get the energy to power the magnets.

Chronos said:
The question remains, where do you get the energy to power the magnets.

Well, if your familiar with Mars One, putting a colony on Mars is going to bring that question up anyway. At some point, they are going to have to find way to power the colony. There's always solar, but it won't be as effective as it is here on Earth. They have seen dust devils on Mars, so there is possibly some wind. And then there is always Nuclear, which is probably the best bet considering there is no environment to ruin anyway, but it provides the most amount of power. Of course it would also be amusing to see environmental groups in an uproar over the use of nuclear energy on a world with no environment.

tarzan322 said:
Well, if your familiar with Mars One, putting a colony on Mars is going to bring that question up anyway. At some point, they are going to have to find way to power the colony. There's always solar, but it won't be as effective as it is here on Earth. They have seen dust devils on Mars, so there is possibly some wind. And then there is always Nuclear, which is probably the best bet considering there is no environment to ruin anyway, but it provides the most amount of power. Of course it would also be amusing to see environmental groups in an uproar over the use of nuclear energy on a world with no environment.

"No environment" is a ridiculous concept. Of COURSE there is an environment, it's just different than ours and less complex.

Saying that there is no environment is equivalent to saying that if you get zero as a result of a calculation that means there is no result at all.

tarzan322 said:
It could be possible to give Mars a magnetic field through man made means. Supposedly, we have made magnets that are just as powerful as Earth's magnetic field. And if you wanted to terraform the planet, you wouldn't start with trees anyway. You would start with algae, which is what is believed to have created most of the oxygen here. It uses far less resources, so it requires much less to survive, and could be genetically engineered to work in the environment on Mars.

Where do you get the water to grow the algae in?

Growing algae on Mars would be feasible. Water is not abundant, but, believed to be sufficient to support a colony. It is, in fact, believed there is enough water on the moon to support a colony. And the moon has a much harsher environment than mars.

I recently read that in about 20 years, we are expected to have people on mars. What's the probability on the success of that prospect?

howabout1337 said:
I recently read that in about 20 years, we are expected to have people on mars. What's the probability on the success of that prospect?

I'd put the chances of people landing on Mars and getting back to Earth in the next 20 years at near zero and the chances of a permanent colony with in 20 years at infinitesimal.

phinds said:
I'd put the chances of people landing on Mars and getting back to Earth in the next 20 years at near zero and the chances of a permanent colony with in 20 years at infinitesimal.

I thought the same thing too. Maybe as great a chance that it would occur out of random moving molecules that comes together and form a human colony on mars. I wish we'd put aside politics and spend more on science.

howabout1337 said:
I thought the same thing too. Maybe as great a chance that it would occur out of random moving molecules that comes together and form a human colony on mars. I wish we'd put aside politics and spend more on science.

Even if we spent more on science, I'm convinced that a Mars colony would be a terrible waste of money until our technology has progressed further by what's likely to be a good many more years.

1. What are the benefits of planting trees on Mars?

Planting trees on Mars can have several benefits. Firstly, trees can produce oxygen through photosynthesis which can help create a breathable atmosphere on the planet. Trees can also release moisture into the air, which can help create a more habitable climate. Additionally, trees can help protect the soil from erosion and provide a food source for potential future human colonies on Mars.

2. Is it possible to grow trees on Mars?

While it may seem far-fetched, it is possible to grow trees on Mars. The planet has a thin atmosphere and low temperatures, but with the right technology and conditions, trees can thrive. NASA's experiments have shown that certain plants can grow in Martian soil simulant, and with advancements in technology and research, it is possible to grow trees on Mars.

3. How can planting trees on Mars help with terraforming?

Terraforming is the process of transforming a planet to make it more habitable for humans. Planting trees on Mars can play a significant role in this process. As mentioned, trees can help create a breathable atmosphere and regulate the climate on the planet. They can also help with soil stability and provide resources for future human settlement on Mars.

4. What challenges do we face in planting trees on Mars?

Planting trees on Mars is not without its challenges. The low atmospheric pressure, extreme temperatures, and lack of water are major obstacles. Additionally, the soil on Mars is not suitable for plant growth and would need to be modified or supplemented. Radiation from the sun and cosmic rays is also a concern for plant growth on Mars.

5. What are potential future plans for planting trees on Mars?

Currently, there are no concrete plans for planting trees on Mars. However, some proposed ideas include sending robotic missions to plant trees and using human settlers to cultivate and maintain forests on the planet. As technology and research continue to advance, there may be more developments in the future for planting trees on Mars.