Optics: refractive index and dielectric constant

In summary, the refractive index of water is not the same as it is measured at room temperature. The dielectric constant depends strongly on the frequency of the applied field.
ivas
Dear all,
i am a bit confused with a very simple equation connecting refractive index of water and its dielectric constant for visible range of wavelengths and room temperature. :grumpy:

i hope, You can help me

as we know, the refractive index 'n' can be defined as

n=sqrt(epsilon*mu), (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Refractive_index)

where 'epsilon' is material's dielectric constant (or material's relative permittivity) and 'mu' is its relative permeability.

for water we have:
mu is almost 1, epsilon=80 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dielectric_constant)

it means that (using the equation above) the refractive index of water is n=sqrt(80)=8.94, but the measured refractive index of water at room temperature is about 1.33 (http://www.ps.missouri.edu/rickspage/refract/refraction.html, http://www.cargille.com/certwater.shtml) .

Thus, refractive index computed from the equation is not the same and not near to its experimental quantity.

Where is my fault?
Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
The dielectric constant depends strongly on the frequency of the applied field. While the dielectric constant of water is 80 for a static field, it is much lower for optical frequencies (around 1.78, according to one reference I found).

Doc Al said:
The dielectric constant depends strongly on the frequency of the applied field. While the dielectric constant of water is 80 for a static field, it is much lower for optical frequencies (around 1.78, according to one reference I found).

Thanks,
i agree, :rolleyes:

For crystals, the dielectric constant does generally not change too much with measurement frequency (if temperatrue is not high), and thus the equation still gets along with the low frequency values of permittivity. But for liquids, molecular movements (or dipole reorientation) have a dominant (say to be excess) contribution to static permittivity. In this case, only the high frequency value of permittivity follows the equation.

Last edited:
Doc Al said:

I was wondering if you could give me a link to that reference.

I am also looking for values for the dielectric constant for water and silica (SiO2) in the visible. Any suggestions where I could find them?

Lastly, a little aside...I am also struggling to find the refractive index of SF6 gas at std T and P, or at RT (~20C-30C), any suggestions?

Thank you in advance

1. What is the difference between refractive index and dielectric constant?

Refractive index is a measure of how much a material slows down light as it passes through, while dielectric constant is a measure of how well a material can store electrical energy in an electric field.

2. How are refractive index and dielectric constant related?

Refractive index and dielectric constant are related through the material's polarizability, which is a measure of its ability to respond to an electric field. A higher polarizability leads to a higher refractive index and a higher dielectric constant.

3. How does temperature affect refractive index and dielectric constant?

Generally, refractive index and dielectric constant decrease with increasing temperature. This is because at higher temperatures, molecules in the material are more energetic and can respond more easily to an electric field, leading to a decrease in the material's polarizability.

4. Can refractive index and dielectric constant be used to identify a material?

Yes, refractive index and dielectric constant are both intrinsic properties of a material and can be used to identify it. They can be measured experimentally and compared to known values for different materials to determine the material's identity.

5. How do refractive index and dielectric constant affect the behavior of light in a material?

Refractive index determines the speed and direction of light as it passes through a material, while dielectric constant affects how much light is reflected and absorbed by the material. These properties play a crucial role in the design and function of optical devices such as lenses and fibers.