How do forces on a hippo change on a steeper hill?

• Thread starter yosup231
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Forces
In summary, the conversation is about a physics problem involving a slippery hippo sliding down a muddy hill. The question asks for the force of friction impeding the hippo's motion and how it would be affected by a steeper hill. The formula used to calculate friction is proportional to the normal force, which changes as the angle of the slope increases. The proper equation to use for this problem is (cos 18)(1250kg x 9.8m/s^2)(.09)= 1048.54N.
yosup231
I feel like i basically know how to do this question but I am not 100% sure

A 1250 kg sliperry hippo slides down a mud covered hill included at an angle at 18 degrees to the horizontal. a) if the coefficient of sliding friction between the hippo and the mud is .09, what force of friction impedes the hippo's motion down the hill? b) if the hill were steeper, how would this affect the coefficient of sliding friction?

for a i think I am suppose to do (sin 18)(1250kg x 9.8m/s^2)(.09)= 347.64N but I am not sure if I am suppose to use cosine

for b i think htecoefficient of sliding friction would remain the same but I am not 100%

can someone help?

Physics news on Phys.org
Friction is proportional (by virtue of the coefficient of friction) to the 'normal' force applied to the surface.

The weight (mg) of an object points downward (and perpendicular to the horizontal).

One needs to determine the normal force of the hippo on the slope.

What happens to the normal force when the angle increases?

am i right?

i may be wrong but as the angle increases does the normal force decrease there for teh proper equation to use is
(cos 18)(1250kg x 9.8m/s^2)(.09)= 1048.54N

That's correct!

1. What is the force of gravity acting on a hippo?

The force of gravity acting on a hippo is approximately 9.8 meters per second squared. This is the acceleration due to gravity on Earth.

2. How do forces affect the movement of a hippo?

Forces can affect the movement of a hippo in various ways. For example, the force of gravity pulls the hippo towards the ground, while the force of friction between the hippo's feet and the ground helps it walk or run.

3. What other forces are acting on a hippo besides gravity?

Aside from gravity, other forces acting on a hippo may include air resistance, buoyancy in water, and muscular forces produced by the hippo's own body.

4. Can forces be balanced on a hippo?

Yes, forces can be balanced on a hippo. This means that the total force acting on the hippo is zero, resulting in no acceleration. For example, if the force of gravity pulling the hippo down is balanced by an equal and opposite force from the ground pushing up, the hippo will remain at rest.

5. How do forces on a hippo compare to forces on other animals?

The forces acting on a hippo are similar to those acting on other animals of similar size and weight. However, the specific forces and their effects may vary depending on the environment and the adaptations of the animal. For example, a hippo's dense body allows it to float and move through water more easily than other land animals of similar size.