Solving Statics Problems: Taking Hypotenuse & Tension

In summary, the author is having trouble solving a statics problem and is looking for help from a teacher or online. The author draws a Force Addition Polygon and finds that the two tensions in this case are the legs of a right triangle, with a hypotenuse of 29.4N.
Mo
I am having a bit of trouble solving statics problems. its actually only 1 issue. I can do the trig and rest.

The question , like the one below...

http://img25.imageshack.us/img25/5403/q10lq.th.gif

...usually asks to find the tension in one of the strings.In this case they asked for the tension in AC.

My question is, what do i take as the hypotenuse?

Do i take the weight as the hypotenuse or do i take the tension as the hypotenuse?

Below is how i have attempted to solve the question.

http://img133.imageshack.us/img133/2118/a15kz.th.gif

However, taking the weight as the 'opposite', i get T = 3g / sin 30
Where as if i was taking the hypotenuse as the weight, then the answer would be correct. (14.7 N)

Am i drawing the diagram correctly? I am inserting the angles correctly?

I asked my teacher this question, and he said that you usually take the weight as the hypotenuse - however, he said this concerning mass-on-an -inclined-plane type questions, not these types of questions.

This is probably the only thing that will bring me down on my mechanics paper :frown: , so i would be very happy to solve this once and for all.

Thanks.

--------
Initially i pressed submit instead of preview, hence the reason the link didnt work!
--------

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Can't see the image and the link doesn't work.

The only thing to be sure of in Statics is that the Sum Force Vectors is equal to zero (= m a_vector) ! You add Vectors by placing them (sequentially) tail-to-tip, keeping each one parallel to its Free-Body-Diagram arrow ... a polygon will be formed.
In the case of three Force vectors, the polygon will be a triangle, but NOT always a Right triangle, so a lot of the time NONE of the Forces are a hypotenuse.

This is a two unknown problem so you need two equations.

I would use the strings as the hypotenuses and T1(AC) & T2(BC) as their respective tensions.

So, T1cos30 has to equal T2cos60 to cancel x forces Eq.1
And T1sin30 + T2sin60 = mg Eq.2

T1 = 0.577 T2 & 0.5T1 + 0.866T2 = 29.4N

So from Eq.1, T1 = 0.577T2, and plug & chug to get

T1 = 13.16N & T2 = 25.45N

I think..

If you draw the Force Addition Polygon, you see that In this case,
the two Tensions are the legs of a right triangle, with 29.4 N hypotenuse.
T_CA = 29.4 N sin(30) , and T_CB = 29.4 sin(60) .

In more typical situations, you obtain horizontal and vertical components of each Diagonal Force by treating it as the hypotenuse of a right triangle.

Attachments

• 2strings.bmp
    1.5 KB · Views: 252
Last edited:
Thanks for your reply.Thing is the answer is given in the question. It says, "show that tension of AC is 14.7N". So it can't be 29.4N, unless i have misunderstood your post :confused:

The way it works is that you :
1) draw the Free-Body-Diagram
2) Draw the Force Polygon
. . . if the solution is not obvious yet, choose coordinate axes
3) separate each Force into components along the axes, and
4) sum the Force components separately.

Step 2 was what I drew for you, you should know some trig !

- - - - - - - - - - -

Multiply by sin(30) !

- - - - - - - - - - -

Last edited:
:blushing: I can see now! In my defence i have been traveling all day :zzz: . Thanks for your help. I will put this into practice with a few other questions and if i have any further queries, i will repost!

Once again, thanks :smile:

ps: damn, i didnt even read your reply correctly, i shouldve noticed the
T_CA = 29.4 N sin(30) !

hi every body i want to exchange my data with someone that like to more give information from statics.

thanks

1. What is the difference between taking the hypotenuse and tension in solving statics problems?

Taking the hypotenuse in a statics problem involves finding the length of the longest side of a right triangle, while tension refers to the force pulling on an object in a specific direction.

2. Why is it important to consider both the hypotenuse and tension in statics problems?

In order to accurately calculate the forces acting on an object in equilibrium, it is necessary to take both the hypotenuse and tension into account. Ignoring one or the other can result in an inaccurate solution.

3. What is the process for finding the hypotenuse in a statics problem?

To find the hypotenuse in a statics problem, you will need to use the Pythagorean theorem, which states that the square of the hypotenuse is equal to the sum of the squares of the other two sides. You will need to know the lengths of at least two sides of the right triangle to solve for the hypotenuse.

4. How do you determine the tension in a statics problem?

Tension can be determined by using Newton's laws of motion and applying them to the forces acting on an object in equilibrium. You will need to analyze all the forces acting on the object and use equations of motion to solve for the tension.

5. Are there any common mistakes to avoid when solving statics problems involving hypotenuse and tension?

One common mistake is forgetting to consider all forces acting on the object, resulting in an incomplete solution. It is important to draw a free body diagram and carefully analyze all the forces before attempting to solve for the hypotenuse and tension. Another mistake is using the Pythagorean theorem incorrectly, which can lead to incorrect solutions.