Thermodynamics and Atomic/Nuclear Physics Left to self-study. Which one first?

In summary: Root-mean-square_speedIn summary, the conversation discusses the topics of Heat/Thermodynamics and Atomic Nuclear Physics. The individual is unsure of which topic to study first and is struggling to understand certain concepts, such as the root-mean-square speed and the definition of photons. They are debating whether to memorize equations or try to understand their derivations. The expert suggests understanding the derivation is more important and recommends looking at Wikipedia for a derivation of the root-mean-square speed. They also mention that calculus is necessary for a deep understanding of both topics and that it may be best to just memorize equations for the upcoming AP exams.
AznBoi
I basically have Heat/Thermodynamics and Atomic Nuclear Physics left to do, which ones should I study first? I've looked at both but they both seem so hard for me to understand. I get Heat and some of PV=nRT but I don't get the Root-mean-square speed and how it's derived. I like knowing how to come up with equations because it makes me understand the variables and relationships better. Should I just start memorizing the equations instead of trying to derive them?

Also, I'm confused about photons, and I don't really get the definitions given by the book. Which one should I try to takle first and do you have any advice on how to understand it faster? Any sites help at all? Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
the root-mean-square speed can be derived from scratch by considering a particle in a box, having a particular v_x value, and then find it's rate of transfer of momentum (use a rough time-average) (it will be [itex]\sim v_x^2[/itex] then take the average of the rate of transfer of momentum all together, you'll get the mean of the [itex]v_x^2[/itex].

it is a standard derivation found in most thermal physics books by the way.

and yes, by all means, don't blindly memorize the formula; understanding the derivation is much more important.

I'm afraid that you will have to accept the existence of photon as it is. just note that it can be treated like gas molecules in air and has energy hf (the equation is pretty much fundamental I believe, you may be able to sort of reason it out using relativistic 4-vectors but I wouldn't say that it is a derivation).

as for learning thermodynamics... I don't see a good way of "learning it fast". basically the concepts are simple enough, but you'll have to get used to differential forms and Legendere transformation (spelling?). not that you need to understand the math. really deeply but a complete understanding of the motivations of derivations in thermodynamics requires a good understanding on the math subjects I mentioned. Also, reviewing partial derivatives will help.

Oh I'm in physics B btw, with no calculus. I understand some of heat and the form transformations of solids to liquids, liquids to vapor. Which is easier, atomic/nuclear or thermo?

AznBoi said:
Oh I'm in physics B btw, with no calculus. I understand some of heat and the form transformations of solids to liquids, liquids to vapor. Which is easier, atomic/nuclear or thermo?
There are simple concepts in both thermodynamics and atomic/nuclear physics, but eventually to study either in depth, one needs to learn and understand calculus. Along the way, one should learn quantum mechanics and special relativity in conjunction with nuclear physics.

oh so you are studying physics B. I suppose you want to take the AP exams. Given the little time you have before AP, it will be virtually impossible to understand thermodynamics (and I doubt the exam will assume that you know a lot). Hence it will be best to just memorize the equations and get some intuitions out of it. (you can always come back to the topics after the exam)

If you want a derivation on the root-mean-square thing, look at wikipedia.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kinetic_theory

1. What is the difference between thermodynamics and atomic/nuclear physics?

Thermodynamics is the study of the relationship between heat, energy, and work. It focuses on macroscopic systems and their behavior, such as heat transfer, energy conversion, and the laws of thermodynamics. Atomic and nuclear physics, on the other hand, deals with the behavior and structure of individual atoms and their nuclei. It involves studying the properties and interactions of subatomic particles, nuclear reactions, and the structure of the atom.

2. Why is it important to study thermodynamics and atomic/nuclear physics?

Thermodynamics and atomic/nuclear physics are essential in understanding the fundamental principles that govern our universe. They have practical applications in various fields, such as engineering, chemistry, and medicine. For example, thermodynamics is crucial in designing energy-efficient systems, while atomic/nuclear physics is essential in developing nuclear power and medical imaging technologies.

3. Which one should I study first: thermodynamics or atomic/nuclear physics?

It is recommended to study thermodynamics first as it provides a foundation for understanding atomic and nuclear physics. Thermodynamics deals with the behavior of systems with a large number of particles, which is necessary to understand the behavior of individual particles in atomic and nuclear physics. Additionally, thermodynamics uses concepts and laws that are also applicable in atomic and nuclear physics.

4. What are the main concepts to focus on in thermodynamics and atomic/nuclear physics?

In thermodynamics, the main concepts include the laws of thermodynamics, heat transfer, energy conversion, and thermodynamic processes. In atomic and nuclear physics, the main concepts include subatomic particles, nuclear reactions, radioactive decay, and the structure of the atom. It is also essential to understand the relationship between energy and matter in both areas of study.

5. How can I effectively self-study thermodynamics and atomic/nuclear physics?

Some tips for effective self-study include setting a schedule and specific goals, finding reliable study materials, practicing problems and equations, and seeking help from resources such as textbooks, online courses, and study groups. It is also essential to review and reinforce your understanding of the main concepts regularly.