Solve Stoichiometry HW: Molar Mass & Molecular Formula

In summary, The student attempted to solve part A of the homework but realized it wouldn't work so they tried part B. They found the empirical formula for the acid and then used the equation to calculate the molecular weight. They ended up with the molecular weight of the acid being 1.46mol/1.468mol.
DaOneEnOnly

Homework Statement

Have to answer all of the following...
A. By titration, 15.0mL of 0.1008M Sodium hydroxide is needed to neutralize a 0.2053g sample of an organic acid. What is the molar mass of the acid if it is monoprotic?
B.An elemental analysis of the acid indicates that it is composed of 5.89% H, 70.6%C, and 23.5% O by mass. what is its molecular formula.

Homework Equations

(N)(M)(V)=(N)(M)(V) possibly
n-moles
m-molarity
v-volume.

Molecular Formula= [tex]Molecular weight/Emprical Formula Weight[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

ok I orginally wanted to go like this for part A.

.2053g x [tex]1mol/(the molar mass of the acid which I don't have)[/tex] x [tex](moles of the acid)/(moles of NaOH)[/tex] x [tex]0.1008mol NaOH/1L[/tex]

but I realized very early on that it wouldn't work. So I tried...

.015L NaOH x [tex]0.1008mol NaOH/1L NaOH[/tex] x (mol to mol ratio...)

but I once again don't have that information.. since I can't write a chemical equation b/c I don't know the organic acid.

Need a direction...

For B.
I found the EF
5.89g H x [tex]1mol H/1.008g H[/tex]= 5.84mol H

70.6g C x [tex]1mol C/12g C[/tex]=5.8833mol C

23.5g O x [tex]1mol O/16g O[/tex]=1.468mol O

then divide by O
5.84mol H/1.468= 4 H

5.88mol C/1.468= 4 C

1.46mol H/1.468= 1 O

EF= [tex]C{4}[/tex][tex]H{4}[/tex]O

But I don't have the molecular weight to calculate the answer of the the Molecular formula. Do I?

I realize that if I get the MF I should be able to make a Chemical equation... Can I do that with the EF though? I'm not sure that is "legal". Nor do I know what the products would be.

[tex]C{4}[/tex][tex]H{4}[/tex]O + NaOH --> ? + HOH?

Physics news on Phys.org
DaOneEnOnly said:

Homework Statement

Have to answer all of the following...
A. By titration, 15.0mL of 0.1008M Sodium hydroxide is needed to neutralize a 0.2053g sample of an organic acid. What is the molar mass of the acid if it is monoprotic?
B.An elemental analysis of the acid indicates that it is composed of 5.89% H, 70.6%C, and 23.5% O by mass. what is its molecular formula.

Homework Equations

(N)(M)(V)=(N)(M)(V) possibly
No. Try '#moles=concentration (moles/L) X volume (L)'.
DaOneEnOnly said:
n-moles
m-molarity
v-volume.

Molecular Formula= Molecular weight/Emprical Formula Weight
This gives you a ratio of the molecular weight per empirical formula weight. Since these two things are just two ways to say the same thing, the result will always be '1'... my favorite number. Is there such a thing as an 'empirical' weight? Formula weight... yes. Molecular weight... yes. Empirical weight? Hmmm.

DaOneEnOnly said:

The Attempt at a Solution

ok I orginally wanted to go like this for part A.

.2053g x 1mol/(the molar mass of the acid which I don't have) x (moles of the acid)/(moles of NaOH) x 0.1008mol NaOH/1L

but I realized very early on that it wouldn't work. So I tried...

.015L NaOH x 0.1008mol NaOH/1L NaOH x (mol to mol ratio...)
You are on to something with this equation!

This part
0.015L NaOH x 0.01008 mol NaOH/L NaOH
gives you the number of moles of sodium hydroxide used to neutralize the acid. Since the acid is monoprotic, this is also equal to the number of moles of acid!

You have the number of moles of acid, the weight of the acid and you need to find its molecular weight. You are practically there! Do you know of a relationship between moles, mass and formula (molecular) weight? I'm sure you do...

Nor do I know what the products would be.

[tex]C_4H_4O + NaOH \xrightarrow~? + HOH?[/tex]

Remember that an acid reacts with a base to form water and a salt. An organic acid donates a proton (to the OH- forming water) and receives a Na+. Can you replace one of the protons from [tex]C_4H_4O[/tex] with [tex]Na^+[/tex]?

Last edited:
Thx man... I understand what I need to do now...

1. What is stoichiometry and why is it important in chemistry?

Stoichiometry is the branch of chemistry that deals with the quantitative relationships between reactants and products in a chemical reaction. It is important because it allows us to predict the amount of products that will be formed from a given amount of reactants, and vice versa. This is crucial in designing and controlling chemical reactions in various industries and in understanding the composition of substances.

2. What is molar mass and how is it calculated?

Molar mass is the mass of one mole of a substance, expressed in grams per mole (g/mol). It is calculated by adding the atomic masses of each element in the substance, as indicated by its chemical formula. This is because the atomic mass is the amount of grams in one mole of an element.

3. How do you calculate the molecular formula from the empirical formula?

The molecular formula of a compound is the actual number of atoms of each element in one molecule of the compound. To calculate it from the empirical formula, we need to know the molar mass of the compound. Then, we divide the molar mass by the empirical formula mass (sum of atomic masses in the empirical formula) to determine the "multiplier" that will convert the empirical formula into the molecular formula.

4. Can you provide an example of solving a stoichiometry problem?

Sure, let's say we have a reaction where 2 moles of hydrogen gas (H2) reacts with 1 mole of oxygen gas (O2) to produce 2 moles of water (H2O). If we have 5 moles of H2, how many moles of O2 are needed? First, we write a balanced equation: 2H2 + O2 → 2H2OThen, we use the mole ratio from the coefficients to set up a proportion: 2 moles H2 / 1 mole O2 = 5 moles H2 / x moles O2Solving for x, we get x = 2.5 moles O2 needed.

5. What are some common units for molar mass?

The most common units for molar mass are grams per mole (g/mol) and kilograms per mole (kg/mol). However, it can also be expressed in other units such as milligrams per mole (mg/mol) or pounds per mole (lbs/mol).