Einstein solid, Sterling approximation

In summary, the conversation discusses using Sterling's approximation to show the multiplicity of an Einstein solid for large values of N and q. The formula for the multiplicity is given and the denominator is questioned. The correct denominator is found to be \sqrt{2\,\pi\,q\,N/(q+N)} using Sterling's approximation.
nicksauce
Science Advisor
Homework Helper

Homework Statement

Use Sterling's approximation to show that the multiplicity of an Einstein solid, for any large values of N and q is approximately
[tex]\Omega(N,q) = \frac{(\frac{q+N}{q})^q(\frac{q+N}{N})^N}{\sqrt{2\pi q(q+N)/N}}[/tex]

Homework Equations

[tex]\Omega(N,q) = \frac{(N+q-1)!}{q!(N-1)!}[/tex]
[tex]\ln(x!) \simeq x\ln(x) - x[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I see where the terms in the numerator come from, but I cannot see where the terms in the denominator come from. Specifically, the squareroot, and the factor of 2 pi*q. When I grind out the math, I get that the denominator should be (q+N)/N. Help anyone?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Solved it... Turns out I had to use the other Sterling's approximation

[tex]N! = N^Ne^{-N}\sqrt{2\pi N}[/tex]

Sterling' s approximation is

[tex]n! \approx \sqrt{2\,\pi\,n}\left(\frac{n}{e}\right)^n[/tex]

To get your formula fist get rid of 1 at [tex](N+q-1)!,\,(N-1)![/tex]

I think that in the formula

[tex]\Omega(N,q) = \frac{(\frac{q+N}{q})^q(\frac{q+N}{N})^N}{\sqrt{2\pi q(q+N)/N}}[/tex]

the denominator must be [tex]\sqrt{2\,\pi\,q\,N/(q+N)}[/tex]

:smile: You solved it while I was typing!

Thanks... it's the thought that counts anyway!

1. What is an Einstein solid?

An Einstein solid is a theoretical model used to describe the behavior of a system of particles that are constrained to move in a one-dimensional lattice. The particles in an Einstein solid can only occupy specific energy levels and cannot move freely.

2. How does the Sterling approximation relate to the Einstein solid?

The Sterling approximation is a mathematical technique used to approximate the behavior of a large system of particles. It is often used in the study of the Einstein solid to simplify calculations and make predictions about the system's behavior.

3. What is the significance of the Einstein solid in physics?

The Einstein solid is an important concept in statistical mechanics and thermodynamics. It allows scientists to study the behavior of systems at the microscopic level and make predictions about macroscopic properties, such as temperature and energy.

4. Can the Einstein solid model be applied to real-world systems?

While the Einstein solid is a simplified theoretical model, many real-world systems can be approximated using this model. For example, it can be used to understand the behavior of atoms in a crystal lattice or the vibrations of molecules in a solid.

5. What are some limitations of the Einstein solid model?

The Einstein solid model is limited in its ability to fully describe the behavior of real-world systems. It assumes that all particles in the system have the same energy levels and cannot interact with each other. In reality, particles have different energies and can interact in various ways, leading to more complex behavior.