Collecting Electrostatic Charge

In summary, the best way to collect electrostatic charge from particles in an airtight system is by using a Van De Graaf Generator, which relies on the brushes contact to the belt.
heerojyuy
What is the best way to collect electrostatic charge from particles in an airtight system?
The particles will pass over a collector (that which we are trying to determine), discharge and be circulated away.
I'm just not exactly sure what to use.

It will either be just plain air,
or possibly a more dense gas.

If you need further info, I'll try to get that to you.Perhaps something electromagnetic, but not strong enough to interfere with the flow characteristics of the gas.

The charge would then be fed into a capacitor(s) and accumulated for use elsewhere in the apparatus.

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
The best example for electrostatic charge collection & distribution is vandegraaff generator. in this actually charges are not stored it is transferred to the air and it is mainly deals with sharp points. good example of static collectors is needle pointed copper combs. study about vandegraaff generator this may help you.

KnowPhysics said:
The best example for electrostatic charge collection & distribution is vandegraaff generator. in this actually charges are not stored it is transferred to the air and it is mainly deals with sharp points. good example of static collectors is needle pointed copper combs. study about vandegraaff generator this may help you.

Actually, this project is designed around a Van De Graaf Generator.
But the generator relies on the brushes contact to the belt.

I am not getting exact requirement of yours, i hope you know that charge density at the sharp points are more, that is why we use sharp points to collect charges for example Lightning arresters.
If you have a medium that has a static charge (we will assume it as air). i don't know exactly but i think you can also increase collection of charges by applying little pressure to the medium (you can read Paschen’s Law and “The “Paschen Curve” for this detail).

What applications could this be used for?

1) What is electrostatic charge?

Electrostatic charge is a type of electrical charge that is caused by the build-up of static electricity on the surface of an object. This charge is created when two materials come into contact and then separate, leaving one material with a surplus of electrons and the other with a deficit.

2) How is electrostatic charge collected?

Electrostatic charge can be collected in several ways, such as through friction, induction, and conduction. Friction occurs when two materials rub against each other, causing a transfer of electrons. Induction involves using a charged object to create an opposite charge in a neutral object. Conduction is the transfer of charge between two objects that are in contact with each other.

3) What are some examples of materials that can collect electrostatic charge?

Some common materials that can collect electrostatic charge include rubber, plastic, glass, and certain types of fabrics. These materials are considered insulators, meaning they do not allow electricity to flow through them easily, making them more likely to accumulate a charge.

4) What are the practical applications of collecting electrostatic charge?

Electrostatic charge collection has various practical applications. For example, it is used in photocopiers and laser printers to transfer toner onto paper. It is also used in air filtration systems to attract and remove dust particles. In industrial settings, electrostatic charge can be harnessed to control the movement of materials on conveyor belts or to coat objects with a thin layer of paint.

5) How can the collection of electrostatic charge be controlled or prevented?

To control or prevent the collection of electrostatic charge, various measures can be taken. These include using anti-static materials, grounding objects to release built-up charge, and using humidifiers to increase moisture in the air. Additionally, avoiding materials that are known to generate significant amounts of static electricity can also help prevent the collection of electrostatic charge.