Preparing for Upper Division Math: Tips and Suggestions?

• Thread starter torquerotates
  • Start date
In summary, the speaker plans to take upper division math classes next year, including linear algebra and probability. They will self-study probability as they have not seen it before, but are concerned about their lack of experience with proofs. They are considering self-studying real analysis to improve their abstraction abilities and avoid being bored in the fall. They ask for suggestions and are advised to practice doing proofs.
torquerotates
Next year I'm going to be taking some upper div math classes( linear algebra, probability). I'm going to be self studying for probability because I've never seen any of it before. But the real problem is that I've never done lots of proofs before. Right now I'm thinking about self-studying real analysis to build my abstraction abilities. The reason being I don't want to be bored out of my mind seeing the same material again during fall( I'm already doing the same for probability, wouldn't want to do the same for linear since I already took an lower div intro to LA. So selfstudying LA would make taking it in the fall, somewhat my third time) What do you guys think? Any other suggestions?

Physics news on Phys.org
Practice doing proofs. Proofs, proofs and lots of proofs. And then do a few more proofs.

I can understand your desire to prepare for your upper division math classes and to challenge yourself by self-studying real analysis. Building your abstraction abilities will definitely be beneficial in your future math courses. However, it is important to keep in mind that self-studying can be challenging and may not cover all the material that will be presented in your actual class. It may be helpful to also review and practice proof techniques in the context of linear algebra and probability, as those will be the main focus of your courses. Additionally, seeking out resources such as textbooks, online lectures, or practice problems specific to these subjects can also aid in your preparation. Ultimately, it is important to find a balance between self-studying and reviewing specific material in order to fully prepare for your upcoming classes. Good luck in your studies!

1. What courses should I take to prepare for upper division math?

To prepare for upper division math, it is recommended to take foundational courses such as calculus, linear algebra, and discrete math. It is also beneficial to take courses in statistics and computer science to develop problem-solving and critical thinking skills.

2. How should I approach studying for upper division math courses?

Studying for upper division math courses involves practicing regularly and actively engaging with the material. It is important to understand the concepts and not just memorize formulas. Working on practice problems and seeking help from professors or peers can also aid in understanding the material.

3. What are some common challenges in upper division math courses?

Some common challenges in upper division math courses include the abstract nature of the material, the level of rigor and proof-based thinking required, and the pace of the course. Time management and seeking help when needed can help overcome these challenges.

4. How can I prepare for the increased workload in upper division math courses?

To prepare for the increased workload in upper division math courses, it is important to develop good time management skills and prioritize studying and completing assignments. It may also be helpful to review notes and material regularly to stay on top of the material.

5. Are there any additional resources that can help me prepare for upper division math?

Yes, there are many additional resources available to help students prepare for upper division math courses. These include online tutorials, practice problems, study groups, and tutoring services. It is also beneficial to attend office hours and seek help from professors or teaching assistants.