Simple (Frustrating) Combined Gas Law Problem

In summary: If someone wants to mark the thread as solved, they can go to the "Resolved" tab on the top of this page and click the "Mark as Solved" button.
DDNow

Homework Statement

If 562L of a gas is prepared at 700 torr and 213 degrees C, and it is then pumped into a 25.3L tank at 35 degrees C, what pressure will the tank have to withstand?

Homework Equations

[tex]\frac{V_{1}*P_{1}}{T_{1}}=\frac{V_{2}*P_{2}}{T_{2}}[/tex]

Becomes:

[tex]\frac{T_{2}}{T_{1}}*\frac{V_{1}}{V_{2}}*P_{1}=P_{2}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

This is pretty straight forward. That's why I'm getting so frustrated. I just plug and play and I should get the right answer.

[tex]\frac{35degC}{213degC}*\frac{562L}{25.3L}*700torr=~2600torr or 3.421 atm[/tex]

According to my professor, the answer is supposed to be 13atm or 9880torr.

I just don't understand how this approach is not working since I am only missing one variable. It seems perfect for the combined gas law. Thank you for your time.

DDnow

P.S. Sorry about the botched latex attempt. I tried :)

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi DDNow,

DDNow said:

The Attempt at a Solution

This is pretty straight forward. That's why I'm getting so frustrated. I just plug and play and I should get the right answer.

[tex]\frac{35degC}{213degC}*\frac{562L}{25.3L}*700torr=~2600torr or 3.421 atm[/tex]

The Celsius temperature scale is not a thermodynamic temperature scale, and so cannot be used here. Try converting your temperatures to the Kelvin scale.

Hey! Thank you for that. Worked perfectly. I assumed since it was a temperature divided by a temperature that the ratio would be the same for C or K. Obviously, I was wrong. I really appreciate your time alphysicist!

Edit: I'm not sure if I need to mark this as resolved or whatnot. If someone wants to tell me if there is another step I would appreciate it.

Last edited:
DDNow said:
Hey! Thank you for that. Worked perfectly. I assumed since it was a temperature divided by a temperature that the ratio would be the same for C or K. Obviously, I was wrong. I really appreciate your time alphysicist!

Edit: I'm not sure if I need to mark this as resolved or whatnot. If someone wants to tell me if there is another step I would appreciate it.

Sure, glad to help! As far as C or K, temperature differences are the same for both scales, but as you found the ratios are different.

There used to be a way to mark the threads as solved, but I don't believe that function is available right now.

What is the combined gas law?

The combined gas law is a gas law that combines Boyle's law, Charles's law, and Gay-Lussac's law. It states that the product of the pressure and volume of a gas is proportional to the product of its temperature and the number of moles of gas.

How do you solve a simple combined gas law problem?

To solve a simple combined gas law problem, you will need to use the formula P1V1/T1 = P2V2/T2, where P is pressure, V is volume, and T is temperature. You will also need to know the initial and final values of these variables. You can then use algebra to solve for the unknown variable.

Why are combined gas law problems considered frustrating?

Combined gas law problems can be frustrating because they involve multiple gas laws and require a lot of algebraic manipulation. Additionally, many students struggle with understanding the relationships between the variables and how to properly use the formula.

What are some tips for solving combined gas law problems?

Some tips for solving combined gas law problems include: making sure to use the correct units for each variable, writing out the given values and unknown value before plugging them into the formula, and using the correct number of significant figures in the final answer. It can also be helpful to practice using the formula with different sets of values to become more familiar with it.

How is the combined gas law used in real life?

The combined gas law is used in various industries, such as in the production of gases, chemical reactions, and in the design of gas-powered engines. It is also used in weather forecasting to predict changes in atmospheric pressure, volume, and temperature. Additionally, the combined gas law is applied in medical settings to understand the behavior of gases in the body and can help in diagnosing and treating respiratory issues.