Sigma Sub/Sup i,j: Differences & Help

• Thread starter lour
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Symbols
In summary, the difference between sigma sub i,j and sigma sup i,j is that the sub symbol represents a Greek letter with two Latin subscripts, while the sup symbol represents a Greek letter with two Latin superscripts.
lour
What's the difference between sigma sub i,j and sigma sup i,j??thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
One is a Greek letter with two Latin subscripts, and the other is a Greek letter with two Latin superscripts.

Seriously, you have to say what the symbols mean before a question like this can be answered. Common meanings of sigma in physics include a Pauli matrix, a cross section, a conductivity, etc, etc.

It's [tex](\gamma^{\mu}(p_{\mu}-\frac{e}{c}A_{\mu})+\frac{Keh}{4mc^{2}}\sigma_{\mu\nu}F^{\mu\nu}-mc)\Psi=0[/tex].I don't know what [tex]\sigma_{\mu\nu}F^{\mu\nu}[/tex] means.[tex]F^{\mu\nu}=\frac{\partial_{A^{\mu}}}{\partial_{x_{\nu}}}-\frac{\partial_{A^{\nu}}}{\partial_{x_{\mu}}}[/tex].Can someone tell me?Help appreciated

I can't help you because I don't know that equation. However, I'm curious... what is that equation supposed to be about? :confused: :uhh:

In your equation,

[tex]\sigma_{\mu\nu} [/tex]

means the mu'th-nu'th component of the tensor (or matrix) sigma. When you have an expression like

[tex]\sigma_{\mu\nu}F^{\mu\nu}[/tex],

Einstein's summing convention is implied - that is, you should sum over repeated indices, in this case mu and nu, from zero to three. It is a kind of "dot product" between the matrices sigma and F. Typically, you will need to know [tex]\sigma_{\mu\nu}[/tex] for all mu and nu to actually calculate this. The difference between upper and lower indices is that (depending on convention), for a four-vector,

[tex]f^{\mu} = g^{\mu\nu}f_{\nu}[/tex]

where g is the 4x4 matrix that has zero in all positions when you're not on the diagonal, and it has 1 in its first diagonal position and -1 in the last three positions. Thus, [tex]f^0 = f_0[/tex], and [tex]f^i = -f_i[/tex] for i = 1, 2 or 3. For a matrix, we would then write

[tex] \sigma^{\mu\nu} = g^{\alpha\mu}g^{\beta\nu}\sigma_{\alpha\beta} [/tex]

It's not very simple, but this is standard notation in relativity, so if you get the hang of this, a lot of stuff becomes easier..

Thanks a lot for all your help.The equation is from one of my homework problems,it is kind of Dirac equation,"introduce an anomalous magnetic monent"-my homework states,:confused:.If you are interested,I can send you the whole problem:smile:(I'm working on it,I bet you won't like it)

[tex]\sigma^{\mu\nu}=\frac{i}{4}(\gamma^\mu\gamma^\nu-\gamma^\nu\gamma^\mu)[/itex]

1. What is the purpose of using "Sigma Sub/Sup i,j" in scientific equations?

The "Sigma Sub/Sup i,j" notation is used to represent the summation of a series of values. It is commonly used in mathematics and physics to express the total or average of a set of values.

2. How do I calculate the value of "Sigma Sub/Sup i,j" in a given equation?

To calculate the value of "Sigma Sub/Sup i,j", you need to substitute the values of the index variables (i and j) in the given equation and then sum up the resulting values. It is important to follow the order of operations when performing this calculation.

3. Can I use "Sigma Sub/Sup i,j" in any type of equation?

Yes, "Sigma Sub/Sup i,j" can be used in any equation where the variable values are summed up. However, it is most commonly used in equations involving sequences, series, and statistics.

4. Are there any specific rules for using "Sigma Sub/Sup i,j" in equations?

Yes, there are a few rules to keep in mind when using "Sigma Sub/Sup i,j" notation. The index variables (i and j) should always be integers and should increase by one in each iteration. Additionally, the limits of the summation (represented by the subscripts and superscripts) should be clearly defined.

5. How can I simplify "Sigma Sub/Sup i,j" in a complex equation?

If you encounter "Sigma Sub/Sup i,j" in a complex equation, you can simplify it by expanding the summation and then simplifying the resulting terms. You can also use mathematical properties such as the commutative and associative properties to rearrange the terms and make the calculation easier.