[Q]Hamiltonian of many body problem.

• Thread starter good_phy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Body
In summary, when constructing a Hamiltonian for a many-body system, it is important to consider the nature of the particles and their interactions. Depending on the situation, solving the resulting wave equation can be done through various methods such as computational techniques and approximations like the Born-Oppenheimer approximation. There may not always be a closed-form solution and some level of approximation is often necessary.
good_phy
Hi

I thought Hamiltonian for two particle system is [itex] H = \frac{-\hbar^2}{2m}\frac{\partial}{\partial x_{1}} + \frac{-\hbar^2}{2m}\frac{\partial}{\partial x_{2}} + v(x) [/itex]

But is it right? I just want to know This way is right to construct every hamiltonian of many

body system.

What i want to know more is How can we solve this problem?

I have heard that computational methode can be used after transforming wave equation to

matrix form. Is it right?

Do you have any recommandation practice to improve integral and solve difficult differential

equation ?

Physics news on Phys.org
First, I should say that the derivatives in your equation should be second derivatives, not first derivatives. Secondly, while you are correct that a general quantum mechanical system has the above form (derivative error aside), there are additional constraints imposed by the types of particles you are considering. If they are indistinguishable, the state of the system must be either symmetric or antisymmetric under exchange of the two particles (depending on whether they are bosons or fermions).

Obviously, if you want to solve the problem computationally, how you go about doing so will vary depending on the form of the potential. For example, if the two particles are weakly coupled, then you can get away with solving the individual particle wavefunctions and perturbatively adding back the coupling term. Or, if one particle is much heavier than the other (e.g., the hydrogen atom), the Born-Oppenheimer approximation would work nicely. In most cases, you won't find a nice closed-form solution, and some approximation is necessary.

Hi there,

The Hamiltonian for a many body system is slightly different than what you have written for a two particle system. For a many body system, the Hamiltonian is given by H = \sum_{i=1}^{N}\frac{-\hbar^2}{2m}\frac{\partial}{\partial x_{i}} + \sum_{i=1}^{N}v(x_{i}), where N is the number of particles in the system. This takes into account the kinetic energy of each particle as well as their interactions through the potential energy term, v(x).

To solve the many body problem, there are various methods that can be used depending on the specific system and its properties. One approach is to use computational methods, as you mentioned, where the wave equation is transformed into a matrix form and then solved numerically. Another approach is to use perturbation theory or variational methods, which involve approximating the solution and then improving upon it iteratively.

To improve your skills in solving integrals and differential equations, I would recommend practicing regularly and using resources such as textbooks, online tutorials, and problem sets. It is also helpful to break down complex problems into smaller, more manageable parts and to seek guidance from a mentor or professor if needed. With practice and determination, you will become more comfortable and skilled in solving these types of problems.

What is the Hamiltonian of a many body problem?

The Hamiltonian of a many body problem is a mathematical function that describes the total energy of a system of interacting particles. It takes into account the kinetic and potential energies of all the particles in the system.

What is the significance of the Hamiltonian in many body physics?

The Hamiltonian is a fundamental concept in many body physics as it allows us to understand and predict the behavior of complex systems of interacting particles. It is used to derive equations of motion and calculate various physical properties of the system.

How is the Hamiltonian of a many body problem derived?

The Hamiltonian of a many body problem is derived by considering the positions and momentums of all the particles in the system. It is obtained by applying the principles of classical mechanics and quantum mechanics, depending on the type of system being studied.

What are the different forms of the Hamiltonian in many body physics?

The Hamiltonian of a many body problem can take different forms depending on the type of system and the interactions between particles. Some common forms include the classical Hamiltonian, quantum Hamiltonian, and the grand canonical Hamiltonian.

How is the Hamiltonian used to solve many body problems?

The Hamiltonian is used to solve many body problems by setting up equations of motion, such as the Schrödinger equation or the classical Newton's equations, and solving them to find the behavior of the system over time. It is also used to calculate physical quantities such as energy, momentum, and correlation functions.