How to Label Spin Hamiltonian by Ms in EPR Experiments?

In summary, Rajini is seeking help with understanding how to write the spin Hamiltonian for a system with S=5/2 and Ms as the magnetic quantum number. She has received a hint from another member and is working on solving the problem.
Rajini
dear members,
My problem is...
suppose take the spin Hamiltonian Hham=D[Sz2 -S(S+1)/3 +(E/D)(Sy2-Sy2)] +Hi[tex]\vec{S}[/tex] (most often in EPR experiments, etc).
here external magnetic field Hamiltonian Hi = [tex]\beta[/tex]giBiext and i =x, y and z. Also gx=gy=gz=2 and the external magnetic field is parallel/along z-axis. Ms is the magnetic quantum number.
What i don't know.. Using S=5/2 and writing down in the |5/2,Ms> representation yields a matrix (from the above spin Hamiltonian)...I really don't know how to write it.(may be in other words how to label spin Hamiltonian by Ms )..But i have the solution...Can anyone help me?? I am really frustrated about this problem..
advance thanks for helping me..
Rajini

Physics news on Phys.org
Rajini said:
dear members,
My problem is...
suppose take the spin Hamiltonian Hham=D[Sz2 -S(S+1)/3 +(E/D)(Sy2-Sy2)] +Hi[tex]\vec{S}[/tex] (most often in EPR experiments, etc).
here external magnetic field Hamiltonian Hi = [tex]\beta[/tex]giBiext and i =x, y and z. Also gx=gy=gz=2 and the external magnetic field is parallel/along z-axis. Ms is the magnetic quantum number.
What i don't know.. Using S=5/2 and writing down in the |5/2,Ms> representation yields a matrix (from the above spin Hamiltonian)...I really don't know how to write it.(may be in other words how to label spin Hamiltonian by Ms )..But i have the solution...Can anyone help me?? I am really frustrated about this problem..
Rajini

First, it looks like you have some typos in your expression for H_{ham}. E.g., S_y^2 - S_y^2 is just zero. Also, the last term appears to be a vector.

But, anyways, I think you should start by writing down what [itex]S_z[/itex] looks like in the basis. Then write what [itex]S_+[/itex] (the raising operator) looks like and then what [itex]S_-[/itex] looks like.

dear members,
My problem is...
suppose take the spin Hamiltonian Hham=D[Sz2 -S(S+1)/3 +(E/D)(Sx2-Sy2)] + [tex]\beta[/tex][tex]\vec{B}[/tex][tex]\tilde{g}[/tex][tex]\vec{S}[/tex] (most often in EPR experiments, etc).

Hi olgran, I corrected my error..
thanks for replying

Hi Olgran, I got a hint from your reply..(S- and S+)...based on ur hint...i am on the way:- solving my problem..hopefully i can solve it..after working on big 6x6 matrices..
thanks
rajini

What is a Hamiltonian matrix problem?

A Hamiltonian matrix problem is a mathematical problem that involves finding the eigenvalues and eigenvectors of a square matrix, known as the Hamiltonian matrix. This type of problem is commonly encountered in quantum mechanics and other areas of physics.

What is the significance of solving a Hamiltonian matrix problem?

Solving a Hamiltonian matrix problem allows for the prediction of the behavior of a quantum system, as the eigenvalues and eigenvectors of the Hamiltonian matrix represent the energy levels and corresponding states of the system. This information can be used to understand and analyze various physical phenomena.

What methods are commonly used to solve Hamiltonian matrix problems?

There are several methods for solving Hamiltonian matrix problems, including diagonalization, perturbation theory, and variational methods. The specific method used depends on the complexity of the problem and the desired level of accuracy.

What are the applications of Hamiltonian matrix problems?

Hamiltonian matrix problems have a wide range of applications in physics, including quantum mechanics, atomic and molecular physics, solid state physics, and statistical mechanics. They are also used in computer science for tasks such as data compression and machine learning.

Are there any limitations to solving Hamiltonian matrix problems?

One limitation of solving Hamiltonian matrix problems is that they can become computationally intensive for large matrices, making it difficult to find exact solutions. In these cases, approximations and numerical methods may be used instead. Additionally, some systems may have more complex Hamiltonian matrices that cannot be easily solved using traditional methods.