Converting Quadratic Equation to Complex Polar Form

In summary, the problem involves converting a quadratic equation with complex constants into complex polar form in order to find its roots. The equation is typically written as b2-4ac = p*cis(phi) and the square root of (b^2-4ac) has two roots: 1.p1/2cis(1/2 * phi+2pi) and 2. p1/2(phi/2). However, despite substituting all the necessary values, the equation is not simplifying and the student is unable to find it in their textbook.
CarmineCortez

Homework Statement

I'm supposed to convert the quadratic equation into complex polar form to find the roots of a quadratic with complex constants. so b2-4ac = p*cis(phi) and (b^2-4ac)1/2 has two roots 1.p1/2cis(1/2 * phi+2pi) and 2. p1/2(phi/2)

so I've subbed everything into the equation but it is not simplifying. What is this equation supposed to be, I can't find it in my textbook.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
CarmineCortez said:

Homework Statement

I'm supposed to convert the quadratic equation into complex polar form to find the roots of a quadratic with complex constants...
Could you please write the problem statement, word for word, Carmine.

1. What is a quadratic equation?

A quadratic equation is a polynomial equation of the second degree, meaning it contains at least one term that is squared. It can be written in the form ax^2 + bx + c = 0, where a, b, and c are constants and x is the variable.

2. What is a complex number?

A complex number is a number that can be expressed in the form a + bi, where a and b are real numbers and i is the imaginary unit, equal to the square root of -1. Complex numbers are used to represent points on the complex plane and are a combination of a real part and an imaginary part.

3. How do you convert a quadratic equation to complex polar form?

To convert a quadratic equation from rectangular form to complex polar form, you can use the formula z = r(cosθ + isinθ), where r is the magnitude of the complex number and θ is the angle in radians. To find r and θ, you can use the quadratic formula and solve for the real and imaginary parts of the complex number.

4. Why would you want to convert a quadratic equation to complex polar form?

Converting a quadratic equation to complex polar form can be useful in solving certain types of problems in physics, engineering, and other fields. It allows for a more intuitive representation of complex numbers and can make calculations involving complex numbers easier.

5. Are there any limitations to converting a quadratic equation to complex polar form?

Yes, converting a quadratic equation to complex polar form only works for complex numbers that have both a real and imaginary part. If a complex number is purely real or purely imaginary, it cannot be converted to complex polar form. Additionally, the formula only works for quadratic equations and cannot be applied to equations of higher degrees.