"Emissivity Problem - 8000K Plasma at 325nm

• Thread starter Carrie003
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Emissivity
In summary, the problem involves a plasma at 8000 Kelvin, assumed to be an ideal blackbody, with a slit size of 0.01 cm^2 and observing at a wavelength of 325 nm with a spectral bandwidth of 0.05 nm. The question asks for the emissivity under these conditions, but there is confusion about the meaning of "continuum" and what is being measured. Planck's curve is referenced for solving the problem.
Carrie003

Homework Statement

I am given a plasma at 8000 Kelvin and assume its an ideal blackbody. I have slit of 0.01 cm^2, observing at wavelength 325 nm with a spectral bandwidth of 0.05 nm.

The problem asks that the actually continuum under these conditions is 1 pW. What is the emissivity?

Homework Equations

Planck's curve

The Attempt at a Solution

I do not know how to treat a continuum when before I was looking at a particular bandwidth.

Physics news on Phys.org

Carrie003 said:

Homework Statement

I am given a plasma at 8000 Kelvin and assume its an ideal blackbody. I have slit of 0.01 cm^2, observing at wavelength 325 nm with a spectral bandwidth of 0.05 nm.
Does this mean there is a detector that is sensitive to a 0.05 nm-wide band at wavelength 325 nm?

The problem asks that the actually continuum under these conditions is 1 pW.
I don't understand this statement. Could you please quote the problem question exactly, word-for-word?

What is the emissivity?
Of what? The detector?

Homework Equations

Planck's curve

The Attempt at a Solution

I do not know how to treat a continuum when before I was looking at a particular bandwidth.

1. What is emissivity?

Emissivity is the measure of an object's ability to emit thermal radiation. It is usually represented by the Greek letter epsilon (ε) and is given as a value between 0 and 1, with 1 being a perfect emitter.

2. How is emissivity related to temperature and wavelength?

Emissivity is dependent on both temperature and wavelength. As temperature increases, so does the emissivity of an object. Additionally, emissivity can vary at different wavelengths, with some materials being more emissive at certain wavelengths than others.

3. What is the emissivity problem at 8000K plasma at 325nm?

The emissivity problem at 8000K plasma at 325nm refers to the challenge of accurately measuring the emissivity of a high-temperature plasma at a specific wavelength. This is important in fields such as materials science and astrophysics, where plasma is a common occurrence.

4. How is the emissivity problem at 8000K plasma at 325nm addressed?

The emissivity problem at 8000K plasma at 325nm is typically addressed through experimental methods such as spectroscopy. This involves measuring the intensity of radiation emitted by the plasma at different wavelengths and using mathematical models to determine the emissivity at the desired wavelength.

5. Why is understanding emissivity important?

Understanding emissivity is important in many scientific and industrial fields, as it affects the heat transfer and energy balance of objects. It is also crucial in the design and development of technologies that involve high temperatures, such as engines and power plants.