Magnetic field and capacitor

In summary, the problem involves a 10-turn coil of wire with a diameter of 1.0 cm and a resistance of 200m Ω being placed in a 1.0 mT magnetic field. The coil is connected to an uncharged 1.0µF capacitor and is quickly pulled out of the magnetic field. The task is to determine the total charge which flows onto the capacitor. The known values are N=10, r=0.005, R=0.2, B=10^-3, and C=10^-6, but the appropriate equation to use is unknown.
erinec

Homework Statement

A 10-turn coil of wire having a diameter of 1.0 cm and a
resistance of 200m Ω is placed in a 1.0 mT magnetic field. The
coil is connected to an uncharged 1.0µF capacitor. The coil is
quickly pulled out of the magnetic field. Determine the total
charge which flows onto the capacitor.

Homework Equations

I am not sure.

The Attempt at a Solution

I have no idea how to approach this question as I do not know which equation to use.
All I know is that:
N = 10
r = 0.01
R = 0.2
B = 10^-3
C = 10^-6
Now.. figuring out which equation to use is the problem..
If you could point me to the right direction I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks for your help.

Physics news on Phys.org
the radius isn't .01 like u said it is .005 being that the diameter is 1 cmu need to divide that by 2 to get the radius

I would first start by identifying the relevant concepts and equations that could be used to solve this problem. In this case, the relevant concepts are magnetic fields, resistance, capacitance, and charge. The relevant equations could be Ohm's Law (V = IR), the equation for magnetic force (F = BIL), and the equation for capacitance (C = Q/V).

Next, I would consider the given information and try to determine what is being asked in the problem. The question is asking for the total charge that flows onto the capacitor, so we need to use the equation for capacitance (C = Q/V) to solve for Q.

We are given the values for resistance (R), magnetic field (B), and capacitance (C). However, we also need to know the voltage (V) in order to use the capacitance equation. We can use Ohm's Law (V = IR) to solve for V, since we know the values for resistance (R) and current (I).

The final step would be to solve for Q using the capacitance equation (C = Q/V). Once we have the value for Q, we can provide it as the total charge that flows onto the capacitor. I hope this helps guide you in solving this problem.

1. What is a magnetic field?

A magnetic field is a region in space where a magnetic force can be detected. It is created by the movement of electrically charged particles, such as electrons, and is represented by lines of force that show the direction and strength of the magnetic field.

2. How is a magnetic field created?

A magnetic field is created by the movement of electrically charged particles, such as electrons. When these particles move, they create a magnetic field that is perpendicular to the direction of their movement.

3. What is a capacitor?

A capacitor is an electronic component that stores electric charge. It is made up of two conductive plates separated by an insulating material called a dielectric. When a voltage is applied, one plate accumulates a positive charge while the other accumulates a negative charge, creating an electric field between them.

4. How does a capacitor interact with a magnetic field?

When a capacitor is placed in a magnetic field, the magnetic field exerts a force on the charged particles within the capacitor, causing them to move. This movement can affect the electric field within the capacitor and change its capacitance, or its ability to store charge.

5. What is the relationship between magnetic field and capacitance?

The strength of a magnetic field can affect the capacitance of a capacitor. When a capacitor is placed in a magnetic field, the magnetic force can cause the charged particles to move, changing the electric field and thus, the capacitance of the capacitor. Additionally, the capacitance of a capacitor can also affect the strength of the magnetic field in its vicinity.