Shear Interferometer to test collimation

In summary, this technique is not sensitive enough to measure the curvature of the wavefront, and the patterns go wavy.
Woland
Hello everyone,

I am trying to test the collimation of light emerging from an off-axis parabolic mirror. My mirror has a diameter of 0.5m or so. The focal length is about 5m. The light source I am using is a red laser focused at a pinhole. To test the collimation of this point source, I am using a shear plate. Basically light comes in, reflects from both sides of the thick piece of glass, and produces an interference pattern. The laser is good enough to produce fringe patterns. The angle of the fringe patterns indicates the radius of curvature of the wavefront, and therefore the collimation.

What I am finding is that this method is not sensitive enough for me, because I can move the point source by several mm before I notice a change in the pattern angle. Also, my patterns go wavy once in a while, so that doesn't help.

Is anyone familiar with this technique, and can give some advice on how to improve this set up. Maybe a different approach all together?

Physics news on Phys.org
What is the diameter of the pinhole? What is the flatness of your shear plate? When you say you move the point source several mm, is that along the optical axis, transverse, etc.? How well are you filling the mirror?

The pinhole diameter is 100um. I am not sure about the flatness of the plate, but here is a link to the model I am using:
http://www.thorlabs.com/thorProduct.cfm?partNumber=SI750

When I mention moving the point, I mean along the optical axis. I start with a position which provides a diverging beam, move the source through the focal point, and, in theory, stop once it is at the focal point of the mirror.

The mirror is filled fully by the point source, in fact the point source overfills the mirror.

The pinhole diameter is too big. It should be closer to 5 or 10 microns (using the proper spatial filtering optics) in order to produce a good spatially coherent beam.

Try that and see what happens.

What is a shear interferometer?

A shear interferometer is a scientific instrument used to test the collimation, or alignment, of light beams. It works by splitting a single beam of light into two beams and then recombining them to create an interference pattern. This pattern can reveal any deviations in the collimation of the light beams.

Why is it important to test collimation?

Collimation is crucial in many areas of science and technology, including optics, astronomy, and laser technology. Accurate collimation ensures that light beams are properly aligned and focused, resulting in more precise measurements and improved performance of optical devices.

How does a shear interferometer work?

A shear interferometer uses a combination of a beam splitter, mirrors, and a lens to split a single beam of light into two beams. The two beams are then recombined and the resulting interference pattern is analyzed to determine the collimation of the original beam.

What are the benefits of using a shear interferometer?

Compared to other methods of testing collimation, such as a knife-edge test or a Ronchi test, a shear interferometer offers more precise and quantitative measurements. It is also a non-destructive testing method, meaning it does not damage the light source or optical components being tested.

Are there any limitations to using a shear interferometer?

One limitation of a shear interferometer is that it can only test collimation in one plane at a time. This means that multiple measurements may be needed to fully assess the collimation of a light beam. Additionally, the accuracy of the measurement can be affected by environmental factors such as vibrations or air currents.