Is Cosmos Homogeneous, Isotropic ?

In summary: The only question remaining is how the universe looks at a distance, and whether it is homogeneous or not.In summary, David Koo and TJ Broadhurst's research indicates the universe is heterogeneous with broad bands of clusters separated by huge voids. This evidence does not support the idea of an isotropic universe.
Antonio Lao
Is Cosmos Homogeneous, Isotropic ?

Is the universe really homogeneous and isotropic? The answer is hidden within the structure of spacetime.

Physics news on Phys.org
complex universe yes: isotropic ? I'm betting no.

David Koo and TJ Broadhurst mapped a number of super galaxy clusters and found broad bands of clusters in long strips separated by huge voids evenly spaced some 600 million light years across. Some calculations indicate the formation of these bands would require 150 billion years + to form. In any event the evidence they presented indicates anything but an isotropic universe.

Thanks, geistkiesel.

I hope to use this evidence to partly support what I am theorizing for the local structure of spacetime.

setAI,

I can't link any of these images.

Antonio Lao said:
setAI,

I can't link any of these images.

I've noticed that these don't link correctly in some browsers- but if you right-click and copy shortcut- then paste the shortcut in a new window- they should work-

setAI,

I can link by going outside of the forum. Is this image showing the visible universe centered at the Virgo supercluster? The distribution seems uniform globally but not locally. What's the interpretation by cosmologists?

those images came from the Atlas of the Universe site [ http://www.anzwers.org/free/universe/index.html ]- based from all the best astronomy data- closer in you would see the cellular voids surrounded by sheets and filaments of galaxies http://www.anzwers.org/free/universe/supercls.gif you can really see the exact cellular/foamy/spongey/bubbly structure in the 2d red-shift survey http://magnum.anu.edu.au/~TDFgg/Public/Pics/2dFzcone.jpg

apperently the universe is just an extra foamy bubblebath :biggrin:

/:set\AI transmedia laboratories

http://setai-transmedia.com [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:
setAI,

Thanks again for these breathtaking plots of galaxies. I think it is quite obvious how the universe looks all the way to 14 billions years.

1. What does it mean for the cosmos to be homogeneous and isotropic?

Homogeneity refers to the idea that the universe looks the same everywhere on a large scale, meaning that the distribution of matter and energy is uniform. Isotropy means that the universe looks the same in all directions, suggesting that there is no preferred direction in the cosmos.

2. How do we know if the cosmos is homogeneous and isotropic?

Scientists use various methods to study the large-scale structure of the universe, such as observing the cosmic microwave background radiation and mapping the distribution of galaxies. These studies have shown that the universe is remarkably uniform and isotropic on a large scale, providing evidence for its homogeneity and isotropy.

3. Is the cosmos truly homogeneous and isotropic, or are there variations?

While the universe appears to be homogeneous and isotropic on a large scale, there are small variations in the distribution of matter and energy. These variations are important in understanding the formation and evolution of structures in the universe, such as galaxies and galaxy clusters.

4. Does the concept of homogeneity and isotropy apply to the entire universe or just the observable universe?

The concept of homogeneity and isotropy applies to the observable universe, which is the portion of the universe that we can observe. It is currently unknown if the entire universe beyond the observable universe also exhibits these properties.

5. How does the idea of a homogeneous and isotropic universe relate to the Big Bang theory?

The Big Bang theory suggests that the universe began as an extremely small, dense, and hot singularity, and has been expanding and cooling ever since. This expansion and cooling have led to the homogeneity and isotropy we observe in the universe today. Therefore, the idea of a homogeneous and isotropic universe is closely linked to the Big Bang theory.