What if people could hear your thoughts?

• Thread starter Euphoriet
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Thoughts
In summary, people with schizophrenia would be unable to lie because their thoughts would be known to all. It would be difficult to function in society with this knowledge.
Euphoriet
What would you do if you couldn't stop poeple from hearing ALL your thoughts... and no.. you can't say I would stop speaking and just write things down... it is something you can't stop, unless you stop thinking =-P :eek:

Physics news on Phys.org
The question isn't what I would do, it is what they would do.

"KEEP IT DOWN OVER THERE NJORL!"
"NOBODY CARES WHAT YOU THINK!"

Then they would turn their stereo up.

Njorl

I think that I would get a lot of disgusted looks from people. :wink: :rofl:

I'd be fired from my job. :frown:

I'd have my face slapped by every women that crossed my path.
I wonder if the Cistercian Monks have a vow of silent thought to go along with their vow of silence.

I'd get slapped by all girls that happen to be walking by.

Jon

P.S. Sorry Robert, I didn't realized you thought that way, too.

What would you do if you couldn't stop poeple from hearing ALL your thoughts..

That would suck. I'd be suspended from school. If people think I swear a lot talking, they'd be surprised how much I curse in my thoughts.

Then again, if everyone could hear my thoughts, they'd realize how brilliant I am, I'd be King of The World and everyone would bow to me!

:grumpy: :rofl: :approve: :devil:

Last edited:
Dagenais said:
That would suck. I'd be suspended from school. If people think I swear a lot talking, they'd be surprised how much I curse in my thoughts.

Then again, if everyone could hear my thoughts, they'd realize how brilliant I am, I'd be King of The World and everyone would bow to me!

:grumpy: :rofl: :approve: :devil:

... you know.. I was expecting to hear a response like that -.-

Then people would be bored. or lost.

I'm pretty sure that society as we know it could not exist with telepathy. Douglas Adams, IIRC, agrees. Much of our social interaction is centered around politeness, which is a nice way of saying white lies for the benefit of others.

- Warren

At least people would be honest

Me, I'd invent a device that keeps them from hearing my thoughts. After spending long months in solitude so they won't be there to hear me swear at them.
Then I'd sell my device and make millions.

"Honey, does this dress make me look fat?"

"No, dear." Those cartons of French vanilla ice cream you've been scarfing down are what make you look fat.

I actually meant.. for you to be the only person who has this 'problem' =-P

Cap'n Refsmmat said:
Me, I'd invent a device that keeps them from hearing my thoughts.
Yes, I think I see where your going, a scrambler chip imbedded in your noggin. But wait, some sinister sob will invent a device to unscramble your scrambler. Oh well, the sob is welcome to my thoughts. There's nothing but illogical, structureless crap spewing from my brain.

Last edited by a moderator:
If everyone could hear our thoughts, how would we lie?

Some of us have a real talent for lying.

Janitor said:
"Honey, does this dress make me look fat?"

"No, dear." Those cartons of French vanilla ice cream you've been scarfing down are what make you look fat.
LOL. There was a secretary where I worked that would wolf down an entire BBQ chicken for lunch and never come up for air. She would then wash it all down with a diet coke. I use to think to myself, 'that diet coke is really going to make all the difference in the world'.

Euphoriet, I suffer with hallucinations from a type of schizophrenia. There are times when my reality includes others "talking at" me with impunity, whereas my thoughts are privy to and censored by all others. People "reading" one's thoughts could be described as "mind-rape." If you experience these phenomena, I suggest you ask your internist for a referral to a psychiatrist for an evaluation. With meds and therapy, the disease can be treated; without, repeated hospitalizations and jailings; homelessness and estrangement; or debility, violence and suicide are often the alternative.

My illness was precipitated (not caused) by LSD at age 19, when I had to drop out of Yale. Schizophrenia is a no-fault, biologically based, and mostly treatable brain disease. For more info, try http://www.nami.org/Template.cfm?Section=By_Illness&Template=/TaggedPage/TaggedPageDisplay.cfm&TPLID=3&ContentID=10850 , http://www.nmha.org/infoctr/factsheets/51.cfm , orhttp://www.psychguides.com/pfg15.php.

Do well and succeed!

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is telepathy and how does it relate to hearing thoughts?

Telepathy is the ability to communicate thoughts and feelings without using words or other physical means. This could include hearing or receiving thoughts from another person's mind. So, if people could hear your thoughts, it would be a form of telepathy.

2. Is it possible for people to actually hear each other's thoughts?

Currently, there is no scientific evidence to support the idea that people can hear each other's thoughts. While some people may claim to have telepathic abilities, these claims have not been scientifically proven.

3. How does the brain process thoughts and why can't we hear them?

Thoughts are processed in the brain through a complex network of neurons and electrical signals. These signals are not audible, which is why we cannot physically hear our thoughts. Additionally, the brain has a natural filter that prevents us from hearing our own thoughts as well as the thoughts of others.

4. What would be the potential consequences if people could hear each other's thoughts?

If people could hear each other's thoughts, it would likely have a significant impact on social interactions and privacy. People may feel more exposed and vulnerable, and it could also lead to misunderstandings and conflicts. It could also raise ethical concerns about the invasion of privacy and the potential misuse of this ability.

5. Are there any scientific studies or research on the possibility of hearing thoughts?

While there is ongoing research on telepathy and other forms of communication without words, there is currently no scientific evidence to support the idea that people can actually hear each other's thoughts. Some studies have shown that people can accurately guess what others are thinking, but this is likely due to non-verbal cues and not actual telepathy.