Particle Physics in Uni. of Manchester-Review and comment.

In summary, the conversation discusses the Particle Physics program at the University of Manchester. The individual is seeking feedback and information on the program, specifically in regards to their interests in String Theory, Quantum Gravity, Dark Matter and Energy. The group at Manchester is described as strong in phenomenology and QCD, but may not align with the individual's interests. Other universities with strong research in String Theory and QG are mentioned, including Imperial, Durham, and Edinburgh, as well as the option of pursuing a PhD in the US.
sigmatjj84
Particle Physics in Uni. of Manchester--Review and comment.

Hi everyone,

I am applying a MSc in Particle Physics at Uni of Manchester. I've done some research on the university ranking by subject area, student's reviews...etc. which are posted on the net. But I am hoping to get more info and verification from you all. Just to be sure I am making a right choice.

For your information, I am especially interested in String Theory, Q. Gravity, Dark Matter & Energy..etc. I have contacted few of the faculties in Manchester University and they are all very friendly, this is one of the main reason why I choose Manchester but still I want to know more.

Excluding the top 5 universities like Cambridge, Oxford, Imperial, UCL... do you guys recommend the particle physics group in Manchester (anyone studied there before)? How is the Manchester particle physics group if compares to other uni like Uni of Durham, Uni of Edinburgh, Uni of Bristol and so on who also have a strong group in this field?

I really appreciate any comment from you guys. Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org

I haven't studied there, but I know people who have, and they only say good things! Not only about the Uniersity, but about the city itself.

Sean

Hey, Manchester is a great uni with great professors and a strong physics dept, also a great city to live in.

The one thing I would say is your research interests (QG, string theory) don't really seem to match the theoretical particle physics group's interests. Manchester is much more phenomenology (i.e. you might do things like create Monte Carlo simulations of various processes to simulate what might be observed in the LHC etc), and also they do lots of QCD (similar to the Cavendish Lab at Cambridge). Pilafstis is probably the closest to stringy you will find here, but I think if these truly are your interest you might be better with Imperial MSc in Quantum fields and Fundamental forces, or maybe even part III at Cambridge DAMTP, and the Durham MSc is pretty good for this too. If you don't mind going furhter a field there is the Perimeter Scholars programme in Canada too.

The groups I have found in the UK that do hardcore Stringy/QG research are: DAMTP Cambridge (realistically requires part III before entry, which can be a bugger to fund), Oxford Maths Inst (again I'm sure most people here will have part III or some equivalent), Oxford Physics, Durham, Edinburgh Maths, Nottingham QG group (Maths Dept), Imperial Physics...
Also String Theory dominates research in the US, so you could start a PhD there without need for an MSc at all, and work on String Theory too.

Thanks for the reply man. Ya, Prof. Pilaftsis is probably the closest to string you will find there. You sound like you have been there, I wonder?

Haven't looked at Perimeter Scholars programme in Canada yet, will check on it.

1. What is the University of Manchester's reputation in the field of particle physics?

The University of Manchester has a strong reputation in the field of particle physics, with a long history of groundbreaking research and discoveries. It is home to the world-renowned Particle Physics Group, which is part of the School of Physics and Astronomy. The university is also a member of several international collaborations, including the Large Hadron Collider, further cementing its reputation as a leading institution in this field.

2. What research areas are covered in the Particle Physics Group at the University of Manchester?

The Particle Physics Group at the University of Manchester covers a wide range of research areas, including high-energy particle physics, astroparticle physics, and theoretical particle physics. Some specific research topics include the search for new particles, the study of the Higgs boson, and the investigation of dark matter and dark energy.

3. How is the University of Manchester's Particle Physics Group involved in international collaborations?

The Particle Physics Group at the University of Manchester is involved in several international collaborations, including the Large Hadron Collider at CERN, the Dark Energy Survey, and the Pierre Auger Observatory. These collaborations allow researchers from the university to work with scientists from around the world, facilitating the sharing of knowledge and resources to further advance particle physics research.

4. What opportunities are available for students interested in studying particle physics at the University of Manchester?

The University of Manchester offers a range of undergraduate and postgraduate programs in particle physics, including a BSc in Physics with Particle Physics, an MSc in Particle Physics, and a PhD in Particle Physics. Students have the opportunity to work with world-renowned researchers and gain hands-on experience with cutting-edge technology and experiments.

5. Can you comment on the university's facilities and resources for particle physics research?

The University of Manchester has excellent facilities and resources for particle physics research. The university is home to the Cockcroft Institute, a world-leading center for accelerator science and technology. It also has state-of-the-art laboratories and computing facilities, as well as access to international research facilities such as CERN. The university also offers funding and support for students and researchers to carry out their particle physics research projects.