Improving Verbal Score for Non-Native English Speakers

• Thread starter Amith2006
  • Start date
  • Tags
    English
In summary, the conversation discusses strategies for improving the verbal section of an exam, particularly for non-native English speakers. The suggested methods include brute force reading, reading diverse materials, and learning the meaning of root words. It is also mentioned that memorizing vocabulary may not be as effective as understanding how words are used in context.
Amith2006
In my first attempt, I got 480/710 in Verbal/Quantitative. My poor performance in the verbal part is because English is not my native language. I particularly have difficulty in answering the Reading comprehension part. I don't think this part can be mastered by going through 4 or 5 practice tests. So, what is the way to improve on this part?

Physics news on Phys.org
From what I hear, the best way to increase your score on the verbal part is brute force reading. Read books, read the newspaper, read whatever resources you used to learn english, etc. I can't imagine any real "tricks" to doing well on verbal since the "tricks" I read about when I took it didn't work too well when I had to take the test.

Pengwuino is right. What I found most useful in terms of similar word usage and structure were the Sherlock Holmes series. The short stories should only take you about an hour or so to read through individually. But also make sure to introduce some diversity into your reading.

Is English a second language for you? If so, you may want to take the TOEFL if your verbal SAT scores are weak. This will help show that your problem is that English is still a foreign language for you.

If English is your native language, and reading comprehension is your weakness (rather than the obscure vocabulary they test that needs to simply be memorized), then read, read, read, read, read!

How about learning the meaning of root words? Has anyone approached the verbal section that way?

Learning the root of the words may help you, but you should still find text that uses those words. Memorizing is not very helpful for this section, you should mainly try and know how the words are used and in what context than knowing their exact definitions.

I mean, you should have some knowledge of what the complicated words mean. But don't sit there memorizing for exactness.

1. How can I improve my verbal score as a non-native English speaker?

To improve your verbal score as a non-native English speaker, it is important to practice regularly by reading and listening to English materials, such as books, articles, podcasts, and movies. Additionally, consider taking a language course or hiring a tutor to help you improve your grammar, vocabulary, and pronunciation. Practicing with sample questions and taking practice tests can also help you become more familiar with the types of questions asked on the exam.

2. Is it necessary to have a perfect grasp of the English language to improve my verbal score?

No, it is not necessary to have a perfect grasp of the English language to improve your verbal score. However, it is important to have a strong foundation in the language and to continuously work on improving your skills. With dedication and practice, you can still achieve a high verbal score even if English is not your first language.

3. What strategies can I use to improve my vocabulary for the verbal section?

One strategy to improve your vocabulary for the verbal section is to read extensively and make note of new words. You can also create flashcards or use online resources to help you memorize new words. Additionally, practice using new words in your everyday conversations and writing. This will help you become more comfortable with using a wide range of vocabulary in different contexts.

4. How can I improve my reading comprehension skills for the verbal section?

To improve your reading comprehension skills for the verbal section, it is important to practice actively reading and understanding the main idea and supporting details of a passage. This can involve taking notes, summarizing the passage, and answering questions about the content. Additionally, try to read different types of materials, such as news articles, scientific papers, and literary texts, to become familiar with different writing styles and topics.

5. Can practicing with past exams help improve my verbal score?

Yes, practicing with past exams can be a helpful way to improve your verbal score. These exams can give you an idea of the types of questions that may be asked on the actual test and help you become more familiar with the format and structure of the verbal section. Make sure to review your answers and understand why certain choices are correct or incorrect to improve your skills for the next practice exam.