Exploring Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute for Graduate Studies in Engineering

• Thread starter JD88
  • Start date
In summary, the speaker is planning on attending graduate school for a PhD in mechanical or aerospace engineering and has an interest in becoming a professor or working at NASA. They are considering Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute (RPI) but have not heard much about it. They are curious about the school's reputation, career opportunities for graduates, and any other relevant information. Another forum member has previously discussed RPI and may be able to provide insight.
JD88
I am planning on going to graduate school to obtain my PhD in either mechanical or aerospace engineering, I would eventually like to either become a professor at a university or work at an organization such as NASA doing research. I have been looking at a lot of schools and I was wondering if anyone out there has an opinion on Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute. I think they have some really interesting research but I have never heard much about them. I can't think of anyone I have met or anyone I have heard about that has gone to this school. I am curious, is it a good school, why haven't I heard much about them (is it just me?), what kind of careers do its graduates generally pursue and anything else that might be relevant.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
I believe that there's a regular member of this forum who teaches there.

What is Rensselaer Tech?

Rensselaer Tech, also known as Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute (RPI), is a private research university located in Troy, New York. It was founded in 1824 and is known for its strong programs in engineering, science, and technology.

What majors are offered at Rensselaer Tech?

Rensselaer Tech offers over 145 degree programs in five schools: Architecture, Engineering, Humanities, Arts, and Social Sciences, Lally School of Management, and Science. Some popular majors include computer science, mechanical engineering, and biology.

What is the student life like at Rensselaer Tech?

Rensselaer Tech has a diverse student body with over 7,000 undergraduate and graduate students. The university has over 200 student clubs and organizations, as well as Division III athletics teams. The campus also hosts various events and activities throughout the year.

What is the research focus at Rensselaer Tech?

Rensselaer Tech is a leading research university, with over 100 research centers and institutes. The university focuses on interdisciplinary research in areas such as biotechnology, energy and sustainability, and nanotechnology. RPI also has a strong partnership with industry and government organizations for research collaborations.

What is the admissions process for Rensselaer Tech?

To apply to Rensselaer Tech, students must submit an online application, official high school transcripts, SAT or ACT scores, and letters of recommendation. The university also considers extracurricular activities and personal achievements in the admissions process. The acceptance rate for RPI is around 43%.