What exactly is barrier tunneling and potential barrier?

In summary: In fact, it does so all the time in nature. And that's how we make things like lasers and transistors.In summary, to make a blue laser, you need to make a sandwich of three materials, with one of the materials having a higher potential energy than the others. This is done by varying the height of the barrier between the materials.
rozan977
How can we create a potential barrier? And how does it exactly acts as barrier in electron transfer?

Physics news on Phys.org
By making a "step" in the potential energy. In the real world that usually means making a "sandwich" of 3 materials, the archtypical example being GaAs/AlGaAs/GaAs where the height of the barrier can be adjusted by varying the amount of aluminium in the middle layer.
This is how e.g. blue laser diodes are made.

Another option is to make a three terminal device where the middle terminal can be used as a gate; the height of the barrier is then set by adjusting the voltage applied to that gate.

f95toli said:
By making a "step" in the potential energy. In the real world that usually means making a "sandwich" of 3 materials, the archtypical example being GaAs/AlGaAs/GaAs where the height of the barrier can be adjusted by varying the amount of aluminium in the middle layer.
This is how e.g. blue laser diodes are made.

Another option is to make a three terminal device where the middle terminal can be used as a gate; the height of the barrier is then set by adjusting the voltage applied to that gate.

But how can we set the potential energy of barrier greater than the total energy in it? Also instead of reflection (as we may think in classical mechanics) how does a particle pass through the barrier (the amplitude of wave actually decreases exponentially,how is this possible)?
Answer to mine 2nd question too:
And how does it exactly acts as barrier in particle wave transfer?

I am not sure I understand the question.
Remember that potential energy is always something relative; where you set "zero" is arbitrary so there is nothing preventing us from making a barrier.

It is perhaps worth pointing out that in e.g. the GaAs/AlGaAs/GaAs structure I referred to above the difference in electron energy is just set by properties of the materials (there are tables which relate the amount of aluminium in percent to the energy in eV compared to pure GaAs). The "barrier" is a barrier simply because an electron would need more energy than is available in order to be able to jump up and populate an empty state in the valence band.

The answer to the second questions is: Because it can. Ultimately it is just how nature works simply because there is no such thing as a "classical particle". Everything in nature (including -at least in principle- you and me) have both "particle like" and "wavelike" properties and in structures where tunnelling can occur the latter dominates.

rozan977 said:
Also instead of reflection (as we may think in classical mechanics) how does a particle pass through the barrier (the amplitude of wave actually decreases exponentially,how is this possible)?

It is impossible to explain the tunneling effect consistently using an interpretation of QM involving the wave function alone. All one can do is predict the probability of the tunneling occurring.

However, this is not so in the Bohm interpretation where there are particles in addition to the objectively existing wave function (with the wave exerting a force on the particles). This extra 'quantum force' can, under appropriate circumstances, boost a particle through the barrier. The force is proportional to the curvature of the amplitude of the wave field - and the rapid spacetime fluctuations of the field in the vicinity of the barrier sometimes mean that this force is very large.

The effective barrier encountered by the particle is thus not [tex]V[/tex] (the classical potential) but [tex]V+Q[/tex] (where [tex]Q[/tex] is the 'quantum potential'). This may be higher or lower than [tex]V[/tex] and may vary outside the 'true' barrier.

For more discussion and pretty pictures of trajectories of particle tunneling through barriers see p. 26-28 of lecture 3 of http://www.tcm.phy.cam.ac.uk/~mdt26/pilot_waves.html" .

Last edited by a moderator:
f95toli said:
The answer to the second questions is: Because it can.

Rozan977 - do you see how the Bohm interpretation is better? :wink:

f95toli said:
In the real world that usually means making a "sandwich" of 3 materials

Well, I guess in the 'usual' world of solid-state physics ;) The usual for a chemical physicist like me, is that the 'barrier' is the vacuum.

Say, I have an ethylene glycolate cation.. then it's plausible (I don't know if it's actually been measured in this specific case) that the hydroxyl hydrogen atom can 'flip-flop' between the two oxygens, like so:
15zjgop.gif

Now, to get from one oxygen to the other, the hydrogen atom has to pass through the vacuum - weakening its bond before forming a new one. So it goes up in energy and then down to where it was. (since the two structures are equivalent). If you displayed energy in terms of the 1-dimensional coordinate of the hydrogen atom position it'd be two valleys with a hump in-between: The potential barrier. (which'd be something like 0.1 eV in this case, relative the 'valleys' at each oxygen)

But since hydrogen is a very small atom, it can tunnel quantum-mechanically! In other words, it goes through the barrier: from one oxygen to the other without passing any points in-between! This effect is actually big enough to be measurable when it comes to some hydrogen-transfer reactions (they occur faster than if the hydrogen only went 'over' the barrier). Although this specific example is my own invention.

I believe hydrogen and deuterium are the heaviest things tunneling has been observed for, since it's strongly dependent on mass. In electon transfers it's so significant it always has to be taken into account.

1. What is barrier tunneling?

Barrier tunneling, also known as quantum tunneling, is a phenomenon in which a particle can pass through a potential energy barrier that it does not have enough energy to overcome. This is possible due to the wave-like nature of particles at the quantum level.

2. How does barrier tunneling occur?

Barrier tunneling occurs when a particle approaches a potential energy barrier and instead of bouncing off or being reflected, it can pass through the barrier with a certain probability. This is due to the particle's wave function extending beyond the barrier, allowing it to exist on the other side.

3. What is a potential barrier?

A potential barrier is a region in which a particle experiences a potential energy that is higher than its kinetic energy. This creates a barrier that the particle must overcome in order to continue moving.

4. What are some real-world applications of barrier tunneling?

Barrier tunneling has many important applications in fields such as electronics, where it allows for the development of devices such as quantum tunneling transistors and scanning tunneling microscopes. It also plays a role in nuclear fusion reactions and in understanding the behavior of particles in the universe.

5. Can barrier tunneling be observed in everyday life?

Barrier tunneling is not typically observed in everyday life as it occurs at the quantum level. However, some examples of barrier tunneling can be seen in certain technologies, such as tunnel diodes, and in natural phenomena like radioactive decay.