What is the difference between O and O2 in stoichiometry calculations?

In summary, the conversation is discussing a question about the limiting factor in a chemical reaction, specifically whether oxygen or aluminum is the limiting reagent. The student is asking for clarification on whether to use moles of O or O2 in their calculations, and the expert responds by explaining that while 15g of oxygen is equivalent to 0.47 moles of O2 and 0.94 moles of O, the reaction is balanced with O2 so that should be used for the calculation. The expert also confirms that aluminum is the limiting reagent in this scenario.
Whalstib

Homework Statement

Hi,
4Al + 3O2 --->2Al2O3

Given 20g of Al and 15g Oxygen which is limiting factor?

Homework Equations

My question is the difference between O2 and Oxygen. Do I start with a mole of O or O2 in my calcs? Since the question is framed "15g of oxygen" (verbatim from a quiz) should it be inferred it's O2 in which case it's 32g/mol as opposed to 16g/mol, either .47 moles O2 or .94 moles O...?

The Attempt at a Solution

I used the O 16g/mol calc.
15g O2 x 1(mole O)/16 (mm O) x 2(mol Al2O3)/3(mol O) = 0.625 moles Al2O3 produced
20g Al x 1(mole Al)/27 (mm Al) x 2 (mol Al2O3)/4 (mol Al) = 0.37 moles AlsO3 produced

With this approach Al is limiting factor. Professor briefly touched upon this problem and I had not chance to question. he was clear that O was limiting factor.

is it my O vs. O2 calculations?

Should my O calc be:

15g O2 x 1(mol O)/32 (mm O2) x 2(mol Al2O3)/3(mol O) = 0.312 moles Al2O3 produced.

Thanks!

Warren

Physics news on Phys.org
While 15 g of oxygen is 0.47 moles of O2 and 0.94 moles of O, it is still the same number of atoms (that is, amount of oxygen has not changed). However, your reaction is balanced with O2 - so you should use moles of O2 for calculation. If you use reaction balanced with O (that is, 2Al + 3O -> Al2O3) you use moles of O. That's not reasonable approach as oxygen is diatomic, but it will still give correct result.

And yes, Al is a limiting reagent.

--

Hello Warren,

Thank you for your question. It is important to understand the difference between O and O2 in stoichiometry calculations. In this case, the equation shows that 3 moles of O2 are required to react with 4 moles of Al to produce 2 moles of Al2O3. Therefore, it is correct to use the molecular weight of O2 (32 g/mol) in your calculations. Your calculation for the number of moles of Al2O3 produced using O2 (0.312 moles) is correct.

The reason why your professor may have said that O was the limiting factor is because in this particular reaction, both Al and O2 are present in excess. This means that even though there is not enough O2 to react with all of the Al, there is still enough Al to react with all of the O2. Therefore, in this case, O2 is not the limiting factor and your calculation is correct.

I hope this helps clarify the difference between O and O2 in stoichiometry calculations. Keep up the good work in your studies!

What is stoichiometry?

Stoichiometry is the branch of chemistry that deals with the quantitative relationships between reactants and products in a chemical reaction. It involves using mathematical calculations to determine the amount of substances involved in a chemical reaction.

What is a basic stoichiometry question?

A basic stoichiometry question involves using the mole ratio of reactants and products to determine the amount of a substance involved in a chemical reaction. It typically involves using the coefficients in a balanced chemical equation to solve for an unknown quantity.

How do you solve a basic stoichiometry question?

To solve a basic stoichiometry question, you would first balance the chemical equation. Then, you would use the mole ratio between the given substance and the substance you are trying to find to set up a proportion. Finally, you would use the given information and the proportion to solve for the unknown quantity.

What is the mole ratio in stoichiometry?

The mole ratio in stoichiometry is the ratio of moles of one substance to moles of another substance in a chemical reaction. It is determined by the coefficients of the balanced chemical equation and is used to set up proportions to solve for unknown quantities in stoichiometry problems.

What are some common units used in stoichiometry?

Some common units used in stoichiometry include moles, grams, liters, and particles (atoms, molecules, ions). These units are used to measure the amount of substances involved in a chemical reaction and are used in stoichiometry calculations.