Electrical Engineering Senior Design Project Ideas

In summary, a group of senior electrical and computer engineering students are looking for a new project after realizing their initial project may not be feasible. They are seeking suggestions for a project that can be completed with a $300 budget, within one semester, and has a "wow-factor." Some ideas being considered are noise-canceling headphones, an automated person-following shotgun microphone, using a laser to transmit digital data, and using a sonar range finder to augment a traffic light. One suggestion is to create a software defined radio using FPGA and possibly a DSP for added features.
lnetwork
Hey all,

I think what I'm looking for is pretty self explanatory. If this isn't the right forum to post this question in, feel free to yell at me and i'll post it elsewhere.

As some background, I am a senior electrical engineering major at a major university. I am in a senior design project group with another electrical engineer, and a computer engineer. We began awhile back trying to make a radar range finder, but we are becoming increasingly concerned that it is not going to work because we just don't have the right equipment to pull it off. This basically means that we wasted a semester on a dead end (this is a two semester project). So, we are looking for ideas for a new project. Theoretically, the ideal project would be feasible to pull off on a $300 budget (this would pay for extra equipment besides the normal array of oscilloscopes, spectrum analyzers, fpgas, etc. that we already have access to), would be possible to do under the time constraints of one semester with an 18 credit course load, and would have some nifty wow-factor. (We're flexible on the wow part)

Some ideas that we're bouncing around now are:

Noise Canceling Headphones
Automated Person-following shotgun microphone (a shotgun microphone is just a long range, focused mic. it has nothing to do with shotguns.)
Using a laser to transmit digital data (essentially a glorified remote control)
Using a sonar range finder to augment a traffic light (sonar range finder replaceable with cameras, lasers, or whatever else you could think of to detect an oncoming car)

OK, so any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, and I look forward to hearing them!

Physics news on Phys.org
Software Defined Radio would be a good project. You can easily finish it off in a term. In case you have time left you can add a lot of extra features for "wow" factor. Typically you can use FPGA and write software in C or VHDL. You can also use a DSP if you can get hold of the fast enough. I would suggest usinghttp://www.analog.com/en/embedded-processing-dsp/blackfin/processors/index.html" they are quite powerful, cheap and there is open-source gcc compiler available for it.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
www.digitalblggr.blogspot.com

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is an Electrical Engineering Senior Design Project?

An Electrical Engineering Senior Design Project is a culminating project that undergraduate students in electrical engineering complete in their final year of study. It is an opportunity for students to apply their knowledge and skills to a practical and real-world project, often in collaboration with industry partners.

2. How do I come up with a Senior Design Project idea?

There are several ways to come up with a Senior Design Project idea. You can start by identifying a problem or challenge in the field of electrical engineering that interests you, and then brainstorming potential solutions. You can also look for inspiration from current research and industry trends, or consult with professors or industry professionals for potential project ideas.

3. What are some key considerations when choosing a Senior Design Project idea?

When choosing a Senior Design Project idea, it is important to consider the feasibility, scope, and impact of the project. Is it achievable within the given time and resources? Is the scope of the project well-defined and manageable? Will the project have a significant impact or contribute to the field of electrical engineering?

4. Can a Senior Design Project be a group project?

Yes, a Senior Design Project can be a group project. In fact, many universities encourage students to work in teams for their Senior Design Projects as it simulates real-world engineering projects and promotes collaboration and teamwork skills. However, each member of the group should have a clear and defined role and contribution to the project.

5. What are some examples of Electrical Engineering Senior Design Project ideas?

Some examples of Electrical Engineering Senior Design Project ideas include designing and building a renewable energy system, developing a smart home automation system, creating a medical device for monitoring vital signs, designing a control system for a robot, or developing a wireless charging system. Ultimately, the best Senior Design Project ideas are those that align with your interests and utilize your skills and knowledge in a meaningful way.