Prove that a function must have only x dependency

• Thread starter matteo86bo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Function
In summary, if I have this equation:\int_0^{+\infty}{\frac{e^{-x}}{\int_{\Delta T}f(x,t)}f(x,t)xdx}=Ag(t)I am interested to show that f(x,t) must be g(t). This condition must be necessary and sufficient. Is this possible to prove?First, what does \int_{\Delta T}f(x,t) mean?\int_{\Delta T}f(x,t)=\int_0^{\Delta T}f(x,t)dt sorry, I skip
matteo86bo
If I have this equation:
[tex]

\int_0^{+\infty}{\frac{e^{-x}}{\int_{\Delta T}f(x,t)}f(x,t)xdx}=Ag(t)

[/tex]

I am interested to show that f(x,t) must be g(t). This condition must be necessary and sufficient. Is this possible to prove?

Physics news on Phys.org
First, what does [tex]\int_{\Delta T}f(x,t)[/tex] mean?

Second, is the problem to show that the only way for this statement to be true is for f(x,t) to be equal to g(t) (for all x)?

Last edited:
pellman said:
First, what does [tex]\int_{\Delta T}f(x,t)[/tex] mean?
[tex]\int_{\Delta T}f(x,t)=\int_0^{\Delta T}f(x,t)dt[/tex]
sorry, I skip the "dt"
Second, is the problem to show that the only way for this statement to be true is for f(x,t) to be equal to g(t) (for all x)?
yes, for all positive x.

What is ΔT?

Tedjn said:
What is ΔT?

a positive real number, sorry

Once you do the outer integration, all instances of x disappear, so you are left with a function of t. Of course, it's completely possible this may equal ±∞ for some or all values of t.

Tedjn said:
Once you do the outer integration, all instances of x disappear, so you are left with a function of t. Of course, it's completely possible this may equal ±∞ for some or all values of t.

if the integrandus if choose to be positive for all x and t, can't you say nothing?

furthermore,if [tex]f(x,t)=g(t)+h(x)[/tex]
is now possibile to prove that h(x)=0 for all x??

I don't understand your line of questioning. What does f(x,t) being positive have to do with anything? Moreover, you can not say that f(x,t) = g(t) + h(x) without further constraints on f(x,t); who knows how mixed up x and t are. The process of integration gets rid of the x.

Tedjn said:
The process of integration gets rid of the x.
of course it does.
sorry, I wasn't as clear as possibile.
If now I fix the x dependency by means of f(x,t)=g(t)+h(x), it can be proved that h(x)=0 or I'm fancy about it?

Why?

[tex]\int_a^b f(t)dt= \int_a^b f(u)du= \int_a^b f(x)dx= \int_a^b f(y)dy= F(b)- F(a)[/tex].

Whatever variable the integral is "with respect to" is a "dummy" variable and does not appear in the result. "t" is the only "true" variable in that equation.

1. What does it mean for a function to have only x dependency?

Having only x dependency means that the output of the function is solely determined by the input value of x. This means that no matter what other variables are involved, as long as x remains constant, the output of the function will also remain constant.

2. Why is it important to prove that a function has only x dependency?

Proving that a function has only x dependency is important because it allows us to understand the behavior and relationship between the input and output variables. It also helps us to simplify and analyze the function, making it easier to solve complex problems.

3. How can you prove that a function has only x dependency?

To prove that a function has only x dependency, we can use various mathematical techniques such as substitution, differentiation, or integration to manipulate the function and show that all other variables except x can be eliminated from the equation. We can also graph the function and observe that it is a straight line or a curve with a constant slope, indicating that it is solely dependent on x.

4. Can a function have only x dependency in all cases?

No, not all functions can have only x dependency. Some functions may have multiple independent variables that affect the output, while others may have no dependency on x at all. It ultimately depends on the nature and complexity of the function.

5. What are some real-life examples of functions with only x dependency?

Some real-life examples of functions with only x dependency include distance-time equations in physics, where the distance traveled is solely dependent on the time taken. In economics, the demand function for a product can also have only x dependency, where the quantity demanded is solely determined by the price of the product.