Calculate the Rate of Increase for Doubling Radius of an Ink Spot

In summary, the problem involves finding the rate of increase (in cm/s) at the time when the radius of a circular ink spot has doubled from its initial value. The formula for the radius at time t is r=\frac{1+4t}{2+t}. After analyzing the problem and checking the calculations, the rate of increase is 9/7cm/s, not 7/9cm/s as originally thought.
Procrastinate
The radius of a circular ink spot, t seconds after it first appears, is given by:

[tex]r=\frac{1+4t}{2+t}[/tex]

Find the rate of increase (in cm/s) at the time when th radius as doubled from its initial value.

I have attached my working; however, the answer is 7/9cm/s and I keep getting 9/7cm/s. Does that even make sense if it is doubling anyways?

Attachments

• scan0014.jpg
    scan0014.jpg
    27.1 KB · Views: 348
Physics news on Phys.org
I don't see any problem with your work; it seems to me that 9/7 is right. 7/9 is the rate of change at t=1, but that doesn't correspond to the condition given in the problem, since the initial radius is 1/2 and the radius at t = 1 is 5/3.

1. What is the "rate of increase" question?

The "rate of increase" question refers to a common question asked in scientific research, particularly in the field of population growth or change. It asks about the rate at which a particular phenomenon or variable is increasing over time.

2. How is the "rate of increase" calculated?

The "rate of increase" is typically calculated by dividing the difference between the final value and the initial value of a variable by the time it took for that change to occur. This can be expressed as a percentage or a decimal value.

3. Why is the "rate of increase" important in scientific research?

The "rate of increase" is important because it allows scientists to better understand the magnitude and speed of a particular change or phenomenon. This information can help inform future research, policies, and interventions.

4. How can the "rate of increase" be influenced?

The "rate of increase" can be influenced by a variety of factors, including natural processes, human activities, and environmental conditions. For example, human population growth can be influenced by changes in birth and death rates, migration patterns, and economic conditions.

5. Can the "rate of increase" be used to make predictions?

Yes, the "rate of increase" can be used to make predictions about future changes or trends. However, it is important to note that predictions are based on current data and assumptions, and can be affected by unforeseen events or changes in the variables being studied.