How to Solve an Equation with a Substitution Method?

• Thread starter I dun get it
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation involves finding the value of an integral using a substitution method. The formula for this method is given as \int f(x) dx = F(x), where F(x) is the antiderivative of f(x). The integral from -1 to 3 is given as 12, and the goal is to find the integral from -1 to 1 by substituting u=2x+1. The relationship between dx and du is discussed, and the solution is found to be 6. The conversation ends with a playful comment about the user changing their username.
I dun get it
[PLAIN]http://img517.imageshack.us/img517/6328/q75c.gif

I know that you have to substitute u=2x+1 into the second equation, but I don't know where to go from there.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Let [tex] \int f(x) dx = F(x) [/tex]

then [tex] \int ^3_{-1} f(x) dx = F(3) - F(-1) = 12[/tex]

so [tex] \int^1_{-1} f(2x+1) dx = ? [/tex]

Gregg said:
Let [tex] \int f(x) dx = F(x) [/tex]

then [tex] \int ^3_{-1} f(x) dx = F(3) - F(-1) = 12[/tex]

so [tex] \int^1_{-1} f(2x+1) dx = ? [/tex]

The answer given is 6, whereas that gives me 12.

Try actually doing the substitution. If u=2x+1, what's the relation between dx and du?

Oh, I get it now.

I dun get it said:
Oh, I get it now.
So now you'll need to change your user name.:biggrin:

1. How do you approach solving a problem?

The first step in solving a problem is to clearly understand what the problem is asking. Then, you can break down the problem into smaller, more manageable parts and come up with a plan to solve each part. It can also be helpful to gather any relevant information or resources that may aid in finding a solution.

2. What is the importance of experimentation in problem solving?

Experimentation allows you to test your proposed solutions and see if they actually work. It also helps to identify any potential errors or flaws in your thinking. Often, the first solution that comes to mind may not be the most effective, so experimentation allows for the exploration of alternative options.

3. How do you evaluate the effectiveness of a solution?

To evaluate the effectiveness of a solution, you can compare the expected outcome to the actual outcome. If the solution successfully solves the problem and produces the desired result, then it can be deemed effective. Additionally, considering the resources and effort required to implement the solution can also determine its effectiveness.

4. How do you handle unexpected challenges while solving a problem?

Unexpected challenges are a common part of problem solving. It is important to remain flexible and adapt your approach as needed. This may involve going back to the problem-solving process and reassessing your plan, or seeking assistance from others who may have a different perspective or expertise.

5. What role does critical thinking play in problem solving?

Critical thinking is essential in problem solving as it allows for the evaluation of information and ideas, identification of potential biases or assumptions, and the generation of creative solutions. It involves actively questioning and analyzing the problem and potential solutions, and being open to different perspectives and possibilities.