Hate to stick out like an aching goat but

• Thread starter ╔(σ_σ)╝
  • Start date
In summary, the owner of the VB forums charges $15 for avatars and signatures, but provides them by default to members who have paid. People who do not pay are not entitled to them. Members can earn a gold membership by posting a flyer about PF at their school.
╔(σ_σ)╝
Hate to stick out like an aching goat but ...

I find it a bit unfair that people have to pay $15 just to get an avatar and signature.

I think everyone should be entitled to it.

I hope I don't come off sour but is there some sort of reason why only people with paid subscriptions have it.

VB already provides it by default.

Physics news on Phys.org

It helps defray the cost of the website. No one's getting rich here.

╔(σ_σ)╝ said:
I find it a bit unfair that people have to pay $15 just to get an avatar and signature.

I think everyone should be entitled to it.

I hope I don't come off sour but is there some sort of reason why only people with paid subscriptions have it.

VB already provides it by default.

Gold memberships help to support the forum. If you don't want to pay the $15, you might see if Project PF Proliferation is still active:

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=338366

Members can earn a gold membership by posting a flyer about PF at their school.

edit: ah, I see you have already paid. Well, maybe for next year. :)

I don't have a problem paying. I honestly think I get more out of this site than $15.

It just that the fact that certain aspect of VB are kept away from users because of $15 is not so sweet tasting to me.

I believe people who pay for the gold membership don't do it for the avatars or ads etc... It more like voluntary donation.

I paid just to contribute... I mean the didn't even get ads before (adblocker did it's job) neither did I pay just to get an avy.

I pay and PRAY so that Evo dosen't trip, fall, bump into, break, develop anything uncomfortable or blow up nuthin in order to preserve the environment.
I belong to other forums and would like to say thank you to them as well.
But "They just don't get it."
"Stupid is as Stupid does!" That I get. Now... :mad:

Yeah madam, I see the chocolate sprinkles.

Out of curiosity, why do you think everyone should be entitled to it?

I see it as a perk of donating to the site. He help pay for it, they give you something in return. You can't claim you're getting the content of the site in return because you can get that without even registering.

jarednjames said:
Out of curiosity, why do you think everyone should be entitled to it?

I see it as a perk of donating to the site. He help pay for it, they give you something in return.

I think everyone should get them because it is something VB provides by default with no extra cost to the owner. It seems a bit cheap to keep it away from user for a ransom of $15.

jarednjames said:
You can't claim you're getting the content of the site in return because you can get that without even registering.

I don't follow your logic. Don't you have to register to post ?

╔(σ_σ)╝ said:
I think everyone should get them because it is something VB provides by default with no extra cost to the owner. It seems a bit cheap to keep it away from user for a ransom of $15.

Something is only free on the site when it is decided by the owner it is free. If the owner says the whole forum is only accessible for $15 then that is how it is, even if the underlying software is free.

The deal here is registration to post is free, if you want to support the site in return you get some additional perks such as avatar and signature.

Everything on this site is a cost to the owner. Each avatar, each signature takes space and bandwidth. Although individually not a lot, together it can mount up. So although the software may be free, it's use certainly isn't.
I don't follow your logic. Don't you have to register to post ?

To post, but not to collect knowledge (although it's not easy without search).

jarednjames said:
Something is only free on the site when it is decided by the owner it is free. If the owner says the whole forum is only accessible for $15 then that is how it is, even if the underlying software is free.

The deal here is registration to post is free, if you want to support the site in return you get some additional perks such as avatar and signature.

Everything on this site is a cost to the owner. Each avatar, each signature takes space and bandwidth. Although individually not a lot, together it can mount up. So although the software may be free, it's use certainly isn't.
The total cost per month of unlimited bandwidth for vb forums is not that high if I recall correctly.

If there are 300,000 members with 20kb avatars it will only come up to 600mb or so.

However, I do see your point.

jarednjames said:
To post, but not to collect knowledge (although it's not easy without search).

Part getting knowledge for me is not reading what others post but asking questions myself.

╔(σ_σ)╝ said:
The total cost per month of unlimited bandwidth for vb forums is not that high if I recall correctly.

There is no such thing as unlimited bandwidth. The bandwidth is on the hosting system.

Even if offered, there is a clause in the terms and conditions which states something along the lines of "if we think you are using to much, we cap you / fine you".

Also, remember that each time a person who doesn't have the file in their cache accesses the page it needs to download it so that again takes bandwidth.

So by restricting the system so only those who contribute can have an avatar and signature, you are effectively ensuring the cost of using those items are covered.

Like I said, it may seem insignificant but if everyone could do it then it could certainly have an effect.

Now I'm not saying that is the reason it's done, but it's certainly something to consider when running a website.

IICR this was done to offer an incentive to contribute. Shouldn't contributors get SOMETHING as a recognition for going the extra distance? Avatars and signatures have no effect on your ability to post or read the real content of this site they are purely cosmetic. Not having them does not effect your ability to activally contribute. It really seems like a very good way to encourage donations.

Guess we could just send a thank you email. :uhh:

It's nice to have the avatar and signature, but not necessary. I would gladly pay 10 times the price without them, just to help ensure that this site continues.
We don't think any less of someone who doesn't contribute, because the simple fact is that some people can't afford even that token sum. There have been times when I couldn't.
I don't know what expenses are involved in operating PF, but I do remember that Greg has had to move to a new server twice since I joined, just to keep up with increasing activity.

I'm waiting for PINK. I don't care how much it cost, Danger will get it for me. :!)

Here's my suggestion. Allow everyone to have an avatar, but require the fee if you want to see everyone elses.

I think seeing other's avatars is more useful to us than seeing our own. So, there may be more donations that way. I think most here can afford the fee and don't mind kicking in, but people tend the take the path of least effort, unless motivated by something -- like curiosity when they read comments among the regulars about avatars, but can't see them.

Right now the people who pay 15 bucks don't have the pleasure and utility of seeing avatars from all people. And, those that don't pay get the benefit from seeing all available avatars.

Danger said:
It's nice to have the avatar and signature, but not necessary. I would gladly pay 10 times the price without them, just to help ensure that this site continues.
You have a deal.

Give me $150 per year and I will guarantee that the site stays alive.

Look, no one else is going to, so I'll say it...

"stick out like an aching goat"??

Would you have rather I referred to something obscene like an erected male organ?

Well the usual phrase is "stick out like a sore thumb".

Where "aching goat" comes from mystifies us.

Not sure why you want to bring male appendages into it.

This discussion is not relevant to my interest :-).

40 minutes ago it was when you attempted to reply to DaveC.

But there we are, it's your choice and I think your OP was answered more than thoroughly. Personally I'd see it as courteous to reply to Dave's question seeing as we all answered yours.

Why so serious?

An aching goat sticks out because it makes a lot of noise when hurt or given birth. This is particularly the case, in african countries, when they are hit with objects while trying to steal yams that are left in sun to dry.

It is also difficult to ignore their peculiar "behhh" sound.

It was a decision made early on in our history. I believe part of the reason was also to reduce graphic noise.

Here's an idea. How about giving each user credits just for clicking on an ad? With a certain number of credits, a user could buy himself a gold membership.

Greg'll just have to create his own CPC advertising system/find a different one (so the site can keep track of how many credits you deserve).

Last edited:

moonman239 said:
Here's an idea. How about giving each user credits just for clicking on an ad? With a certain number of credits, a user could buy himself a gold membership.

Thanks for the idea, but that would be click fraud and I'd get banned from the advertising firms :)

Greg Bernhardt said:
Thanks for the idea, but that would be click fraud and I'd get banned from the advertising firms :)

Okay, how about this: users could get paid credits for browsing a Website. You could set it up so that when someone clicks an ad, they have to look around the advertiser's site to find the hidden link. Seems like only a minor annoyance compared to breaking out the wallet.

If you DO do that, I request that I not have to buy from the advertiser to earn credits.

moonman239 said:
Okay, how about this: users could get paid credits for browsing a Website. You could set it up so that when someone clicks an ad, they have to look around the advertiser's site to find the hidden link. Seems like only a minor annoyance compared to breaking out the wallet.

Still click fraud my friend

Any incentive that encourages users to click on paid adverts in return for reward will get the site into trouble.

moonman239 said:
Seems like only a minor annoyance compared to breaking out the wallet.
Would you say 4 cents a day is too steep for what you get from PF?

Don't see the issue here. The benefits of PF far outweigh any need for a free avatar. The owners can choose to run it however they want, yes. As for the aching goat thing, never heard the saying before, but it made perfect sense to me.

1. What does the phrase "Hate to stick out like an aching goat" mean?

The phrase "Hate to stick out like an aching goat" is a colloquial expression that means feeling uncomfortable or out of place in a situation or group.

2. Where did the phrase "Hate to stick out like an aching goat" originate?

The exact origin of the phrase is unknown, but it is believed to have originated in rural areas where goats were commonly used for farming. The phrase may have originated as a way to describe the discomfort of a goat with a sore or aching body part.

3. Is there a scientific explanation for the phrase "Hate to stick out like an aching goat"?

No, there is no scientific explanation for this phrase. It is simply a colloquial expression used to convey a feeling of discomfort or awkwardness.

4. Can the phrase "Hate to stick out like an aching goat" be interpreted in a positive way?

Yes, the phrase can be interpreted in a positive way. It can be used to express a sense of uniqueness or standing out from the crowd in a positive way.

5. How is the phrase "Hate to stick out like an aching goat" relevant in today's society?

The phrase is still relevant in today's society as it is a common expression used to describe feeling out of place or uncomfortable in a social situation. It can also be used to highlight the importance of embracing one's uniqueness and not conforming to societal norms.