Avast 5.0 blocking access to PF for Opera

• Thread starter Borek
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the issue of Avast 5.0 (antivirus) blocking access to certain pages on Physics Forums, specifically the feedback page. It is suggested that a single file requested by the browser could be causing the problem. After excluding PF from scanning, everything returns to normal. Further testing is done using Google Chrome and Opera, with mixed results. The conversation concludes with the suggestion to switch to AVG.
Borek
Mentor
Avast 5.0 (antivirus) blocks access to PF in a strange way. Thread pages load without problems, but it is almost impossible to see some forum pages (like feedback - https://www.physicsforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=19). Could be there is a single file requested by the browser that creates problems. After excluding PF from scanning everything is back to normal.

I will do some more testing.

Edit: Google Chrome seems to be not affected, Opera after getting files into the cache works OK too. Chrome after clearing cache is OK.

Edit2: this is more complicated, now everything works OK, no matter if I clear the cache and/or switch Avast on/off, or add PF to sites excluded from scanning. Strange.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Just FYI: I have Avast 5 and Opera 10.63 running on a laptop and a desktop (both use Win XP Pro SP3). I haven't encountered any issue wth PF, or any other forums.

10.63 here as well. It doesn't happen every time, but I have seen it twice so far.

Switch to AVG :)

1. Why is Avast 5.0 blocking access to PF for Opera?

The most likely reason for Avast 5.0 blocking access to PF (Password Fill) for Opera is due to a conflict between the two software programs. Avast may see PF as a potential threat and therefore block its access to protect the user's device.

2. Can I disable Avast 5.0 from blocking access to PF for Opera?

Yes, you can disable Avast's blocking of PF for Opera by going into Avast's settings and adding Opera as an exception. However, this may leave your device vulnerable to potential threats that Avast is trying to protect against.

3. Is there a way to use PF for Opera without disabling Avast 5.0?

Yes, you can try adding an exception for PF within Avast's settings. This will allow PF to run while still being protected by Avast. However, this may not work for all users and may still result in Avast blocking PF's access.

4. Will updating Avast 5.0 fix the issue with PF for Opera?

It is possible that updating Avast to the latest version may resolve the issue with PF for Opera. Software updates often include bug fixes and improvements that may address this specific conflict between the two programs.

5. What should I do if Avast 5.0 continues to block access to PF for Opera?

If the issue persists, you can try reaching out to Avast's customer support for further assistance. They may be able to provide a solution or workaround for the issue. Alternatively, you can also consider using a different password manager that is compatible with Avast 5.0.