Troubleshooting Login Issues: How to Fix Broken Logins in 15 Minutes or Less

• Bug
  • Thread starter testingagain
  • Start date
In summary, there was a problem with logins on the website, with users experiencing difficulty logging in and getting locked out after only one attempt. It was suggested not to log out until the problem was fixed. The issue was eventually resolved after a lot of troubleshooting and testing, and the login strikes function was temporarily disabled to allow users to log in without issue. However, this posed a security risk and could not remain off permanently, so the problem was still being investigated. Some users joked about the situation and speculated about potential "end of the world" scenarios.

Evo said:
Greg, you're awesome, the time that you spend keeping this forum going is amazing. Thank you so much for all that you do!

Yes, thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org

testingagain said:
Maybe I'm just stupid, but logins currently seem to be broken. I can log in by making a new account and visiting the URL given in the email. However, if I log out of that account and then try to log back in, I get an error message saying I'm over my quota of failed logins, and I should try again in 15 minutes. After 15 minutes, it still doesn't work.

-Ben Crowell

A similar situation occurred to me today[early morning, 20/05/2011--by the Indian Standard Time]!There was a report that somebody tried a wrong password at least five times and that I should try after 15 minutes.[This repeated several times]
I also got an email from physicsforums.com reporting the IP address of the machine from where this attempt was being made---"The person trying to log into your account had the following IP address: 74.86.200.109"
This address corresponds to that of Physicsforums.com under the name Greg Bernhardt .
[One may check the fact at the link:http://whatismyipaddress.com/ip-lookup
I reported this to the Scientific American as well as at the ID:gregbernhardt@gmail.com

There has been no problem after that--so far

Last edited:

Yes, I'm in!

It gave me a scare at first, I thought someone was hacking my account. :eek:
Borek said:
I wonder if these are not first signs of the incoming end of the world?
HeLiXe said:
I wonder what the second signs would be
The cosines, of course.
Greg Bernhardt said:
It's fine now because I disabled the login strikes function. but that is a security risk, so it can't stay off forever.
What exactly does that do, and how is it a security risk? Is it that feature that limits you to 5 login attempts?

dlgoff said:
I can stay hooked up until the end of time.

That can be pretty short, with earthquakes striking tomorrow at 18 local time.

Evo said:
Greg, you're awesome, the time that you spend keeping this forum going is amazing. Thank you so much for all that you do!

Thanks, Greg :smile:!

The tradition is to fishslap newcomers.

I believe that tradition should be carried out on the sockpuppet accounts as well--slap the sockpuppets with fishes. :biggrin:

Last edited:

HeLiXe said:
I wonder what the second signs would be

Greg Bernhardt said:
a rash

Oh Sh**t!

Borek said:

If we have to go. At least we'll be hooked up to PF. Can't think of a better way to go.

Borek said:

Whew, thank God! No problem here..we don't use 24 hour time. :uhh:

Interesting idea, I will give it a shot.

Something like date +%r may save a day.