Nuclear Fusion and Nuclear Fission, safety and efficiency

In summary, there are many challenges to be overcome before Nuclear Fusion can be considered a viable energy source, but the potential benefits are very real.
fatlady1ac
Hello,
I am doing a small research investigation into whether Nuclear Fusion will provide a safer and as efficient energy source as current Fission technology. Just interested if anybody has opinions on the topic and what their stance is on Nuclear Fusion, do they think it can work, any other ideas on the topic.

Thanks Dylan.

Engineering news on Phys.org

The challenge with fusion is to make it work - at all. So far it has been demonstrated experimentally, but not to the point that a sustained steady-state reaction that generates net energy gain in maintained, and particularly with an aneutronic, or a predominantly aneutronic reaction.

It is my opinion that efficient Nuclear Fusion for use as a power source is only a matter of time. A look into the history of fusion power shows that there has been a substantial increase in efficiency, temperature, and confinement time from the 50's up to now.

Fusion can already be shown to be safer in the long run than Fission, with its major waste products from the dirtiest fuels lasting on about 100 years instead of thousands. This greatly reduces the expense, danger, and construction requirements of waste storage sites.

In addition, there is literally zero chance of any dangerous "meltdown" or similar incident at a fusion plant. The physics behind fusion require that we heat the fuel to millions of degrees AND keep it confined to a space sufficiently small enough for it to fuse efficiently. Any loss of containment instantly causes the fusion reactions to cease, as the confinement of the fuel has been lost.

Now, I want to make sure that you understand that there ARE dangers with Fusion just like there are with any power source. The easiest fuel to use produces large amounts of radiation that, while being able to be shielded and harnessed, can still be dangerous if people do not follow safety procedures adequately. A breach in the reactor itself would release radioactive tritium and similar substances, however the amounts and makeup of these are drastically less harmful than any Fission reactor. That of course is assuming a complete breach from the reactor all the way through any protective containment buildings and similar objects.

Beyond achieving net power with fusion technically, I see no path making it work economically with any of the existing experimental reactors, neither with tokamaks nor implosion.

Last edited:
Ever since the 1960's fusion power has been 20 years away.

mathman said:
When I took a course in Fusion Engineering (ca 1982), it was ten years out. by 2000, it was 20 years out. Certainly, it's been a shifting target.

mheslep said:
Beyond achieving net power with fusion technically, I see no path making it work economically with any of the existing experimental reactors, neither with tokamaks nor implosion.

What do you mean? Those reactors are experimental because we cannot accomplish it yet. Are you saying that you don't see current technology progressing to the point of economically cheap power?

mathman said:

Astronuc said:
When I took a course in Fusion Engineering (ca 1982), it was ten years out. by 2000, it was 20 years out. Certainly, it's been a shifting target.

Yep. Fusion has been an exceedingly difficult. However I don't think anyone can deny the progress that has resulted from decades of research. Whether we will or will not achieve our goal in the end, is unknowable.

Drakkith said:
What do you mean? Those reactors are experimental because we cannot accomplish it yet. Are you saying that you don't see current technology progressing to the point of economically cheap power?
No I do not, not in the next many decades.

mheslep said:
No I do not, not in the next many decades.

Fair enough.

Thanks for the replys, there seems to be a lot of different opinions and aspects to the Fusion debate. IT will be interesting to see what the future holds with the test reacters.

What is the difference between nuclear fusion and nuclear fission?

Nuclear fusion is the process in which two or more atomic nuclei combine to form a heavier nucleus, releasing large amounts of energy. Nuclear fission, on the other hand, is the process in which a heavy nucleus splits into two or more lighter nuclei, also releasing energy. The main difference between the two is that fusion combines nuclei while fission splits them apart.

Is nuclear fusion safer than nuclear fission?

In terms of safety, nuclear fusion is generally considered to be safer than nuclear fission. This is because fusion reactions require extremely high temperatures and pressures to sustain, and any disruptions to the reaction would cause it to stop. In contrast, nuclear fission reactions can result in a runaway chain reaction if not properly controlled, leading to potentially catastrophic accidents.

What are the safety precautions in place for nuclear fusion and nuclear fission?

Both nuclear fusion and nuclear fission reactions require strict safety measures and regulations. For fusion, these include using specialized equipment to control the high temperatures and pressures, as well as implementing containment systems to prevent any release of radioactive materials. For fission, safety precautions include strict control and monitoring of the nuclear reactions, as well as proper storage and disposal of radioactive waste.

How efficient is nuclear fusion compared to nuclear fission?

Nuclear fusion is known to be more efficient than nuclear fission, as it releases much more energy per unit mass of fuel. In fact, fusion reactions have the potential to produce up to four times more energy than fission reactions using the same amount of fuel. However, fusion reactions have not yet been successfully sustained for long periods of time, making it difficult to accurately measure their efficiency at this point.

What are the potential benefits of using nuclear fusion and fission as energy sources?

Nuclear fusion and fission both have the potential to provide large amounts of energy with relatively low carbon emissions. This could potentially help reduce our dependence on fossil fuels and mitigate the effects of climate change. Additionally, fusion and fission reactions produce little to no air pollution, making them a cleaner alternative to traditional energy sources. However, both methods also come with their own set of challenges and risks, which must be carefully considered in any potential applications.