Tensor transformations for change of coordinate system

In summary, there are two ways to perform tensor transformations: the traditional way, where the resulting tensor is equal to the product of the transformation matrix and the original tensor and its transpose, and a newer approach where the resulting tensor is divided by the determinant of the transformation matrix. This newer approach is known as a "tensor density" and has a weight of -1. It is used in cases where the transformation involves anisotropic density or matter density. While online definitions only mention the use of a Jacobian determinant, they do not provide a clear explanation of why this approach is preferred over a regular transformation.
aeson25
In school I've always learned that tensor transformations took the form of:

[tex]\mathbf{Q'}=\mathbf{M} \times \mathbf{Q} \times \mathbf{M}^T [/tex]

However, in all the recent papers I've been reading. They've been doing the transformation as:

[tex]\mathbf{Q'}= \frac {\mathbf{M} \times \mathbf{Q} \times \mathbf{M}^T}{det(\mathbf{M})}[/tex]

Where Q is the tensor in question and M is the transformation matrix and M^T is the transpose of M.

Does anyone know why the difference?

Physics news on Phys.org
Such on object is properly called a "tensor density". Specifically, it is a "tensor density of weight -1", since the determinant appears with the power -1.

I can't seem to find a clear definition of "tensor density" online. How does this differ (or provide an advantage) (practically, not mathematically) from a regular coordinate transformation? FYI, I'm trying to follow the transformation of a anisotropic density (actual matter density) in a paper.

Did you even try Googling it? For your claim that you "can't find it", I have serious doubts.

Of course I tried googling it. I didn't say I didn't find ANY definitions, I said I couldn't find a CLEAR definition which included information pertaining to the entirety of the second sentence of my last post with an emphasis on the parenthetical parts. The online definitions basically say its a coordinate transformation with a weight to it based on a Jacobian determinant. Big whoop, those definitions tell me nothing about why it's used over a normal transformations. Why use a weight of -1 rather than 1000?

Last edited:

1. What is a tensor transformation?

A tensor transformation is a mathematical operation used to describe how a tensor (a geometric object with multiple components that transforms in a specific way under changes in coordinate systems) changes when the coordinate system is changed. It allows for the description of the same physical quantity in different coordinate systems.

2. Why do we need tensor transformations for change of coordinate system?

Tensor transformations are necessary because different coordinate systems may use different basis vectors and have different orientations. These changes in coordinate systems can make it difficult to compare and analyze physical quantities, so tensor transformations allow for a consistent description of these quantities regardless of the coordinate system used.

3. How are tensor transformations represented mathematically?

Tensor transformations are represented using matrices, which are arrays of numbers that represent linear transformations. Each entry in the matrix corresponds to a specific component of the tensor being transformed. The transformation matrix is multiplied by the tensor to produce the transformed tensor.

4. Can tensor transformations be applied to any type of tensor?

Yes, tensor transformations can be applied to any type of tensor, including vectors, matrices, and higher-order tensors. They are used in various fields of science and engineering, such as physics, mathematics, and computer science, to describe physical quantities in different coordinate systems.

5. How do tensor transformations relate to the concept of covariance and contravariance?

Tensor transformations are closely related to the concepts of covariance and contravariance, which describe how tensors transform under changes in coordinate systems. Covariant tensors transform in the same way as the coordinate system, while contravariant tensors transform in the opposite way. Tensor transformations allow for the conversion between covariant and contravariant tensors.