Proving a set of derivatives to be a subset of real functions

The inductive step would involve using the product rule to expand the derivative of the linear combination (af+bg)^(m+1), and then applying the inductive hypothesis to the terms (af)^(m) and (bg)^(m). This will show that (af+bg)^(m+1) is also in C^n, proving that C^n is closed under linear combinations and therefore a subspace of V. In summary, we can prove by induction that Cn is a subspace of V by showing that it satisfies the conditions for a vector space, including being closed under linear combinations.
jimmybonkers
let C0 be the set of continuous functions f : R -> R. For n >= 1, let Cn denote theset of functions f : R -> R such that f is differentiable and such that f' is contained in C(n-1). (Therefore Cn is the set of functions whose derivatives f',f'',f''',...,f^(n) up to the nth order exist and are continuous.) Prove by induction that Cn is a subspace of V where V is the set of all functions f : R -> R.

There are three properties that Cn must satisfy to be a subspace,
1.) it must contain the zero vector of V
2.) It must be closed under vector addition
3.) it must be closed under scalar multiplication

I am not sure which of these properties i must perform induction on (obviously not 1.) ) or should it be both 2.) and 3.)..?
I would greatly appreciate it if someone could give me a hint for what the inductive step should be..?

cheers,

James

Physics news on Phys.org
Obviosuly Cn is a subset of V, so you just need to prove that it's a vector space by showing that the conditions for a vector space are satisfied. You don't need to do any induction.

I am specifically asked to prove it by induction

You'll need induction to show that the (f+g)^(n) = f^(n) + g^(n) and that (cf)^(n) = cf^(n) (which is what you need to prove to show that C^n is closed under addition and scalar multiplication). The inductive step would simply be using the linearity of derivation.

jimmybonkers said:
There are three properties that Cn must satisfy to be a subspace,
1.) it must contain the zero vector of V
2.) It must be closed under vector addition
3.) it must be closed under scalar multiplication

I am not sure which of these properties i must perform induction on (obviously not 1.) ) or should it be both 2.) and 3.)..?
I would greatly appreciate it if someone could give me a hint for what the inductive step should be..?
3 implies 1. And 2 and 3 can be combined into "closed under linear combinations".

[tex](af+bg)^{(m+1)}=((af+bg)^{(m)})' =\dots[/tex]

1. What is the purpose of proving a set of derivatives to be a subset of real functions?

Proving a set of derivatives to be a subset of real functions serves to establish that a particular set of functions can be differentiated and that their derivatives are real-valued. This is important for ensuring the validity and applicability of these functions in various mathematical and scientific contexts.

2. How do you prove that a set of derivatives is a subset of real functions?

To prove that a set of derivatives is a subset of real functions, one must show that each function in the set has a derivative that is a real-valued function. This can be done by using the definition of a derivative and showing that the limit exists and is a real number.

3. What are some common techniques used in proving a set of derivatives to be a subset of real functions?

Some common techniques used in proving a set of derivatives to be a subset of real functions include using the definition of a derivative, using the chain rule, and using the product and quotient rules. Other techniques may include using the mean value theorem or the intermediate value theorem.

4. What are the benefits of proving a set of derivatives to be a subset of real functions?

Proving a set of derivatives to be a subset of real functions allows us to confidently use these functions in various mathematical and scientific contexts. It also helps to establish the validity and reliability of these functions, making them a useful tool in solving problems and making predictions.

5. Are there any challenges in proving a set of derivatives to be a subset of real functions?

Yes, there can be challenges in proving a set of derivatives to be a subset of real functions. Some functions may have complex or undefined derivatives, making it difficult to determine their real-valued nature. Additionally, the proof process may involve complex mathematical manipulations and techniques, which can be challenging to understand and execute correctly.