Water pump design of an engine?

In summary, the conversation discusses the idea of using a water pump design in an engine and whether altering the turbine blades could increase the output thrust. It is suggested that changing the blades may not be enough and that efficiency losses could occur. The concept of a turbo-jet engine, which works on similar principles, is also mentioned.
aseylys
Hey all,

So I'm trying to figure out a design for an engine that will fit in a rectangle space, longer horizontally than vertically, so I thought of a water pump. A water pump is a blade that channels one stream of water into another channel.
Picture:
water_pump004.JPG

So then I thought why can't I do the same thing with air? If I alter the turbine blades a little could the same output effect be given?

And to extend, if this does work, how would I be able to increase the output thrust?

Engineering news on Phys.org
You would have to radically change the blades... In the pump, the blades are giving out energy to the water/liquid. In an engine, the blades would have to be receiving as much energy as possible from the air passing by it. Even then, you will have efficiency losses due to energized air passing by the blades without contributing to the blades motion...

Have you heard of a turbo-jet engine? It's a jet engine made from an automotive turbo charger. It works on the same principals you were thinking of about the water pump.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uZaaLhkoHCw&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LXKsrZjSwF4&feature=related

Last edited by a moderator:

1. How does a water pump work in an engine?

The water pump is responsible for circulating coolant throughout the engine to prevent overheating. It is typically powered by a belt connected to the engine's crankshaft, and uses centrifugal force to push coolant into the engine's cooling system.

2. What materials are used to make a water pump for an engine?

Water pumps for engines are typically made from durable materials such as cast iron, aluminum, or stainless steel. The impeller, which is responsible for pumping the coolant, is often made from a strong plastic or metal composite.

3. How do you know when a water pump needs to be replaced?

The most common sign of a failing water pump is a leak or dripping coolant. Other signs may include engine overheating, unusual noises, or a significant decrease in engine performance. It is important to have a mechanic inspect the water pump if any of these symptoms occur.

4. Can a water pump be repaired or does it need to be replaced?

In most cases, a water pump will need to be replaced rather than repaired. Attempting to repair a damaged water pump can be risky and may not be a permanent solution. It is best to consult with a mechanic and follow their recommendations for replacement.

5. How long does a water pump typically last in an engine?

The lifespan of a water pump can vary depending on the type of engine, driving conditions, and maintenance. On average, a water pump can last anywhere from 60,000 to 100,000 miles. However, it is important to regularly check and maintain the water pump to ensure maximum lifespan.