Why can't I access google.com on my computer?

• Thread starter issacnewton
  • Start date
In summary, the user's problem was that they had malware on their laptop, which was preventing them from accessing Google.com. They also had issues with Chrome browser where Back button was not working for some websites. HostsXpert was suggested as a solution.
issacnewton
Hi

for last month or so, I am not able to access google.com , I can access google.co.in
The problem is not my ISP since I can access google.com from another laptop I have.
I also noticed that while registering on utorrent forum, I can't register since I can't see
the recaptcha. But I can see this recaptcha from my second laptop. I have this shareware
anti spyware program called spyware doctor. When I ran the scan with it, it said that there
is some website hack on my pc for google.com . Since its shareware program, it won't rectify
the problem. When I ran the scan through another free program I have (spybot search and
destroy), it didn't identify any such website hack for google.com. I have cleared all the
cookies from my chrome browser, but the problem is still there. I can't access google.com and
can't see recaptcha on the utorrent forum site. I also noticed another behavior of my chrome
browser. When I click some website through google.co.in searches, the 'back' button in
my chrome browser becomes inactive. This doesn't happen for all the sites. Only sometimes.
So please suggest some soln.

thanks

Computer science news on Phys.org
I have recently started having the same problem. I got some Malware on my laptop and afterwards started having random issues with google. Anytime I do a search on google and then click on one of the results I am taken to some other random website and then cannot click "back" to the search results. Now, I can't get to google.com at all, but gmail still works. Every time we run a scan of my laptop it no issues were found. Did you ever figure out how to solve it?
Thanks

Hi I solved the problem. The problem was with the file "hosts" in the C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc. I use win xp. You have to edit the file. Follow directions at http://www.dslreports.com/faq/10131

Edit: As suggested on the above website, I installed free software HostsXpert and added # in front of last two lines which forbid the pc to access google.com and bing.com . I think
you can as well delete those lines and it should work

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 448
Last edited:

1. Why can't I access google.com?

There could be several reasons why you are unable to access google.com. It could be due to a temporary issue with your internet connection, a problem with your device or browser, or an issue with Google's servers. It is recommended to try accessing the website on a different device or network to see if the issue persists.

2. Is google.com down?

If you are unable to access google.com, it is possible that the website is experiencing technical difficulties or is undergoing maintenance. You can check if Google's other services are also down by visiting Google's Apps Status Dashboard.

3. How can I fix the issue of not being able to access google.com?

First, try clearing your browser's cache and cookies, as well as restarting your device. If that does not work, check your internet connection and ensure that it is stable. You can also try using a different browser or resetting your router. If the issue persists, it is recommended to contact your internet service provider for further assistance.

4. Can a virus or malware prevent me from accessing google.com?

Yes, it is possible for a virus or malware to block your access to certain websites, including google.com. It is important to have reliable antivirus software installed on your device and regularly scan for any potential threats. You can also try accessing google.com in safe mode to see if the issue persists.

5. Is there an alternative way to access google.com if I can't directly visit the website?

Yes, you can try using a virtual private network (VPN) to access google.com. A VPN can bypass any restrictions or blocks that may be preventing you from accessing the website. Additionally, you can try using Google's IP address (172.217.6.206) in your browser's address bar to see if you can access the website that way.