Engineering Physics or Mechanical Engineering

In summary, the conversation focuses on the comparison between a degree in Engineering Physics (EP) and Mechanical Engineering (ME) and which one would be better for someone interested in working with nanotechnology. The speaker with a physics degree shares that employers prefer specific skills rather than broad skills, and suggests researching the specific requirements for ME jobs in the field. They also mention that electrical engineering may be more related to nanotechnology and advise narrowing down interests. The speaker who prefers EP notes that it incorporates elements of both ME and EE, as well as environmental engineering.
HipHopDude
Well I am unsure which degree I should go after, I like Engineering Physics because its so broad and includes elements from ME, EE, and normal physics, and this makes me happy because I really I feel like I can learn more and have more job opportunities, but then again lots of websites have told me that an EP degree is no where near as marketable as a ME degree. ME is also a very broad discipline but no where near EP. I was wandering which one you guys think is better, especially for some one who intends to work with nanotechnology.

Physics news on Phys.org
As someone who went for physics because of the broad skills that would "help me have more job opportunities" let me tell you what I've found: employers (right now at least) don't want "broad skills". They want you to be good at a specific set of skills.

Go look at ME job ads online (monster, career builder, dice, indeed) and look at what they want you to know. They want you to know very specific software and specific concepts. They don't care that you *also* know something else. They just want you to know what they need.

Secondly, I don't know if ME is the best way to go for nanotechnology. I would think electrical engineering would be more related. You'd do well to do some more research into the field. "Nanotechnology" just means "really small technology" so there is a HUGE swath of R&D areas that fall under it. You should try and narrow down your interests.

Of course, this goes out the window if you intend to go to grad school, as grad school let's you work on your intended field so you have an easier time finding a job later.

Mistake said:
Secondly, I don't know if ME is the best way to go for nanotechnology. I would think electrical engineering would be more related. You'd do well to do some more research into the field. "Nanotechnology" just means "really small technology" so there is a HUGE swath of R&D areas that fall under it. You should try and narrow down your interests.

Yea this is why I think EP would be better because it incorporates a lot of EE in it. It also incorporates Environmental Engineering into it which I also find cool.

Mechanical is quite interesting

I can understand your dilemma in choosing between Engineering Physics and Mechanical Engineering. Both are highly technical and broad fields that offer a wide range of opportunities. However, it is important to consider your interests and career goals before making a decision.

Engineering Physics is a multidisciplinary field that combines elements of mechanical engineering, electrical engineering, and physics. This can provide a strong foundation for understanding and applying principles in a variety of areas, including nanotechnology. With an EP degree, you would have a diverse skill set that could make you a valuable asset in many industries.

On the other hand, Mechanical Engineering is a well-established field with a more specific focus on designing and manufacturing mechanical systems. While it may not cover as many areas as Engineering Physics, ME is still a highly marketable degree with a strong demand for professionals in various industries, including nanotechnology.

Ultimately, the choice between EP and ME depends on your personal interests and career goals. If you are passionate about a broad range of topics and want to explore various fields, then Engineering Physics may be the better option for you. However, if you have a specific interest in designing and building mechanical systems, then Mechanical Engineering may be a better fit.

I would also suggest researching the job market and career opportunities in your desired field to get a better understanding of which degree would be more beneficial for your future goals. Additionally, you could consider talking to professionals in both fields to gain insights and advice on their experiences.

In the end, both Engineering Physics and Mechanical Engineering are valuable degrees that can lead to successful careers in nanotechnology and beyond. It is important to choose the one that aligns with your interests and goals, and that will allow you to excel in your chosen career path.

1. What is the difference between Engineering Physics and Mechanical Engineering?

Engineering Physics focuses on the application of physics principles to solve engineering problems, while Mechanical Engineering focuses on designing and building mechanical systems. Engineering Physics has a stronger emphasis on theoretical and mathematical concepts, while Mechanical Engineering has a stronger focus on hands-on practical applications.

2. What are the career opportunities for someone with a degree in Engineering Physics or Mechanical Engineering?

Both degrees have a wide range of career opportunities, including working in research and development, product design, manufacturing, consulting, and academia. Graduates can also work in various industries such as aerospace, automotive, energy, and healthcare.

3. What skills are important for success in Engineering Physics or Mechanical Engineering?

Strong math and physics skills are essential for both degrees, as well as problem-solving, critical thinking, and analytical skills. In addition, both degrees require strong communication and teamwork skills, as engineers often work in multidisciplinary teams.

4. What are some important courses in the Engineering Physics or Mechanical Engineering curriculum?

Both degrees have similar core courses, such as mechanics, thermodynamics, and materials science. However, Engineering Physics may have more advanced courses in physics, such as quantum mechanics and electromagnetism, while Mechanical Engineering may have more courses related to design and manufacturing.

5. How can I prepare for a degree in Engineering Physics or Mechanical Engineering?

Taking advanced math and science courses in high school, such as calculus, physics, and chemistry, can help prepare for these degrees. Additionally, gaining hands-on experience through internships, research projects, or participating in engineering clubs can also be beneficial. It is also important to develop strong study habits and time management skills to succeed in these rigorous programs.