Build a Mousetrap Car for 5 Degree Incline - 14m Goal

• Thread starter suesand
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Incline
In summary, the conversation involves a project that requires building a mechanically powered vehicle to go up an incline of 5 degrees and travel a distance of 14 meters. The project has limitations such as fitting inside a 60 cm x 60 cm x 60 cm cube and not using any non-mechanical components. The individual has sought help from their father and is currently experimenting with a thicker axel to improve the car's power. They have also received help from another individual and have achieved a decent grade, although not reaching the desired 14 meters. The purpose of the project was solely to build a vehicle powered by a mouse trap.
suesand
My project's requirement isn't limited to a mousetrap car but that's what I've built. My car has to go up an incline of 5 degrees. I'm aiming for a distance of 14 meters. My car right now can go on a level surface but can barely pass the 1.5 m on the incline!

My dad is helping me with the project and right now we're going to try to see if a thicker axel will make a difference in its power. Is there any suggestions?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Perhaps it would help if you explained the project, and what it's supposed to do (as well as how you're supposed to accomplish the task). Right now I have no idea what you're doing! :smile:

Thanks for offering to help scholzie. :) Although I hadn't reached my desired 14 meters, I've gotten far enough to earn at least a decent grade. Thank you again so much! :)

My purpose was just to build a mechanically powered vehicle that would go up an incline of 5 degrees. Limitations were to fit inside a 60 cm x 60 cm x 60 cm cube, no non mechanical components, and couldn't travel through air.

Last edited:
And how were you using the mouse trap?

1. How do I design a mousetrap car for a 5 degree incline?

To design a mousetrap car for a 5 degree incline, you will need to consider the weight of the car, the size and strength of the mousetrap, and the angle and placement of the wheels. It is important to make sure that the car is balanced and has enough traction to move up the incline.

2. What materials do I need to build a mousetrap car?

You will need a mousetrap, wheels, axles, a body for the car (such as a foam board or cardboard), and any additional materials to decorate or strengthen the car. You may also need tools such as scissors, glue, and a ruler.

3. How do I calculate the distance my mousetrap car will travel on a 5 degree incline?

The distance your mousetrap car will travel on a 5 degree incline will depend on the design and materials used. You can estimate the distance by measuring the length of the incline and using the formula d = lsinθ, where d is the distance, l is the length of the incline, and θ is the angle of the incline in radians.

4. Can I make adjustments to my mousetrap car to improve its performance?

Yes, you can make adjustments to your mousetrap car to improve its performance. You can try changing the placement of the wheels, adding weight to the car, or adjusting the angle of the wheels to increase traction. You can also experiment with different materials and designs to see what works best.

5. How can I make my mousetrap car reach the 14m goal?

To make your mousetrap car reach the 14m goal, you will need to make sure it is properly designed, has enough power from the mousetrap, and has a smooth surface to travel on. You can also try adjusting the angle of the incline or adding extra weight to the car to increase its distance. It may also help to test and make small adjustments to find the optimal design for your specific incline and goal distance.