Is 1 Included in the Mathematical Set S?

• Thread starter Bachelier
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses a proof involving a set S defined as {x ∈ ℝ | x^2 = 2, x > 0}. The conversation notes that there may be a typo in the set definition and that the supremum of S may be taken in the proof. The attached file provides a complete explanation of the proof.
Bachelier
In one of my old notes, I was reviewing this proof. It started with:

Consider [itex] S = \{ x \in \mathbb{R} \ | \ x^2 = 2, \ x > 0\} [/itex], then S is not empty because [itex]1 \in S[/itex]

Why is 1 in the set?

Thanks.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Bachelier said:

Consider [itex] S = \{ x \in \mathbb{R} \ | \ x^2 = 2, \ x > 0\} [/itex], then S is not empty because [itex]1 \in S[/itex]

Why is 1 in the set?

Thanks.

This isn't true. The square of 1 is not 2

x^2 = 2 doesn't seem like a particular interesting thing to look at. I can't help but notice that there are two "2's" in your expression. Perhaps you were looking at a specific case of the set x^n = n. The number 1 would be in this set for the case that n=1.

Bachelier said:

Why is 1 in the set?

Thanks.

It's probably a typo and it should be

[tex]S=\{x\in \mathbb{R}~\vert~x^2\leq 2,~x>0\}[/tex]

I bet they end up taking the supremum of S.

micromass said:
It's probably a typo and it should be

[tex]S=\{x\in \mathbb{R}~\vert~x^2\leq 2,~x>0\}[/tex]

I bet they end up taking the supremum of S.

Indeed. Please see the attached file for the complete proof.

Attachments

• Weird x^2 = 2 proof.JPG
    Weird x^2 = 2 proof.JPG
    66.4 KB · Views: 440

1. Does the equation X^2 = 2 have a solution in the real numbers?

Yes, the equation X^2 = 2 has two solutions in the real numbers, which are √2 and -√2.

2. How do you find the solutions to the equation X^2 = 2 in the real numbers?

The solutions to this equation can be found by taking the square root of both sides, resulting in X = ±√2.

3. Can the equation X^2 = 2 have non-real solutions?

No, the equation X^2 = 2 only has solutions in the real numbers. The square root of a negative number is not a real number.

4. Are there any other ways to represent the solutions to X^2 = 2 in the real numbers?

Yes, the solutions can also be represented as ±√2, or as a decimal approximation, approximately 1.4142 and -1.4142.

5. How do the solutions to X^2 = 2 in the real numbers relate to the graph of the function y = X^2?

The solutions to X^2 = 2 represent the x-intercepts of the graph of y = X^2, where the function crosses the x-axis. This can be seen by plotting the points (√2, 0) and (-√2, 0) on the graph.