Potential Barrier for different types of junctions

In summary, the conversation discusses methods for calculating the Potential Barrier in different types of junctions, including metal-semiconductor, metal-metal, and p-n junctions. The height of the barrier can be determined using self-consistent calculations and by considering band-mismatch. Sketching band profiles can also help in understanding the formulas. In p-n junctions, the difference in Fermi energy between the p and n-type junction can be used to calculate the Potential Barrier. The formula for calculating the Potential Barrier in p-n junctions involves using Poisson's equation and the Schrodinger equation to determine band bending and charge distribution.
Joseph8022
Hi all,
How I can calculate the Potential Barrier when we have a metal- semiconductor, metal- metal, or p-n junction ? Can I calculate the Potential Barrier by using a workfuncion?

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF;
The exact shape of the barrier is usually modeled using self-consistent calculations - depending on the exact structures being modeled.

The height of the barrier can sometimes be worked out from the band-mismatch.

Simon Bridge said:
Welcome to PF;
The exact shape of the barrier is usually modeled using self-consistent calculations - depending on the exact structures being modeled.

The height of the barrier can sometimes be worked out from the band-mismatch.

Thank you! I have a lot of formulas for calculating the Potential Barrier, and I get confused with them. I'm not sure about it ! In p-n junction, can I find the Potential Barrier by finding the difference in Fermi energy of the p and n-type junction? What about if I have a metal-semiconductor junction ?

You should be able to make out what your formulas are about by sketching the band profiles next to each other.
At the junction you'd get some band bending irl.

Simon Bridge said:
You should be able to make out what your formulas are about by sketching the band profiles next to each other.
At the junction you'd get some band bending irl.

Thank you, again ! I need to know the formula for calculating the Potential Barrier in p-n junction, please, write it down if you know it.

In general?

It's a self-consistent calculation using Poisson's equation to work out the band bending and the Schrodinger equation to work out the charge distribution. Rinse and repeat. What level education are you doing this at? Did you have a specific p-n junction in mind?

1. What is a potential barrier in terms of junctions?

A potential barrier is a region in a junction where the energy of particles is higher than the surrounding areas, creating a barrier that can prevent the movement of particles across the junction.

2. How does the type of junction affect the potential barrier?

The type of junction can affect the potential barrier as different types of junctions have different properties that can influence the energy levels and movement of particles across the junction.

3. What are the different types of junctions that can have a potential barrier?

Some common types of junctions that can have a potential barrier include p-n junctions, Schottky junctions, and metal-semiconductor junctions.

4. How does the potential barrier affect the behavior of particles in a junction?

The potential barrier can affect the behavior of particles in a junction by either allowing or hindering their movement across the junction. It can also affect the flow of current and the overall electrical properties of the junction.

5. Can the potential barrier be manipulated or controlled in junctions?

Yes, the potential barrier can be manipulated or controlled in junctions through various methods such as applying an external voltage, changing the doping levels, or introducing impurities. This allows for the customization of the junction's properties for specific applications.