Dual major in chemistry and physics of physics and math

In summary: Taking the most interesting thing to you will make it seem less difficult and you are more likely to do well.
leright
dual major in chemistry and physics or physics and math

oops, I meant dual major in chem and physics OR physics and math.

So what do you think is better for someone who wants to go into theoretical physics? Should I go for a dual major in chem and physics and a minor in math, or a dual major in physics and math, with a minor in chem?

I am kinda getting ticked off at myself for flip flopping all of the time, but I realized that chemistry labs are a pain and I hate them, and dropping the chem major might be a good idea. There are no labs in math. :tongue2:

I have already progressed somewhat toward a chem major, but that will just go towards my minor in chem.

At first I wanted to do a dual major in chem and physics because I wanted to do work in the interface between the two fields, but I have now realized that I want to go into theoretical physics, or maybe experimental physics..

I am going to talk to my physics advisor tomorrow, and I am going to make an apointment with the math chair to talk about this prospect. I just know that my chem lab experiences were not the greatest and chem experimentation is certainly not my forte. :uhh: I was a nervous wreck in uchem2 lab and orgo lab, but I am very comfortable in physics labs and math labs.

I dunno, I just want some support from you guys...this is a difficult time I am going through. One thing for certain though, the dual major in physics and math with a minor in chem will be less total credits than a dual major in physics and chem with a minor in math...so as far as total completion time and money goes, physics and math is a better option as well.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Which major is better depends on what's important to you. If learning interesting material is important to you, then you should consider taking what's most interesting to you. If not having to much work is important, you might go for something less difficult. If you want a good job or to get into a good grad school, I don't know which is better. My recomendation would be to take what's most interesting to you. This way it will seem like less work and your more likely to do well, which will help getting into grad school and jobs.

knowing more chemistry could be useful in general, i suppose, but for theoretical physics i think that math would take precedence.

plus it's a lot easier to get along with a physics major! :tongue2:

oh, man, reread your thread title:

"... chemistry and physics of physics and math."

the hell is "physics of physics"? some special program for triple majors? :biggrin:

anyway, to actually contribute something in this post, math majors tend to be more compatible with physics majors. say, at my school, the physics dept. requires two math courses beyond elementary diff eqs. a few more carefully-selected courses and that's a math major. similarly, at my school (university of florida), some physics courses are allowed as electives for a math major (EM, Classical Mech 1 and 2, etc.).

chem, on the other hand, there is very little compatibility, which i guess was why you were stuck with eight courses.

Brad Barker said:
oh, man, reread your thread title:

"... chemistry and physics of physics and math."

the hell is "physics of physics"? some special program for triple majors? :biggrin:

anyway, to actually contribute something in this post, math majors tend to be more compatible with physics majors. say, at my school, the physics dept. requires two math courses beyond elementary diff eqs. a few more carefully-selected courses and that's a math major. similarly, at my school (university of florida), some physics courses are allowed as electives for a math major (EM, Classical Mech 1 and 2, etc.).

chem, on the other hand, there is very little compatibility, which i guess was why you were stuck with eight courses.

yeah, overall math/physics is easier than physics/chem...and if I did math/physics I'd just use the chem classes I've already taken as a minor in chem..I guess..and I am not really going to worry about any of the math electives or physics electives, since physics will likely take care of the math electives and math will likely take care of MOST of the physics electives.

I just don't know if I can make a good living as a theoretical physicist...you have to be pretty damn good to get anywhere in that field...

oh, and since I only need 4 more credits to complete a chem minor (since I've already taken 17), what chem class would be most useful for a physicist?

What is the best combination of classes to take? analytical chem (2 credits), physical chem 1 (3 credits), intermediate inorganic (2 credits), polymer chem (3 credits), etc...

I am thinking physical chem 1 and intermediate inorganic, but what do you think?

Past a certain point it seems like chemistry becomes about memorizing reaction mechanisms (esp. with the organic and biochemistry stuff) and less about explanation on why something happens based upon more fundamental physical laws. I suppose the lab work is useful however.

So I would recommend physics and math. Maybe you could pick up a minor in chemistry. If you take any chemistry course beyond first year, take physical chem.

What is a dual major in chemistry and physics or physics and math?

A dual major in chemistry and physics or physics and math is a degree program that allows students to major in two closely related fields of study. It typically requires students to take courses in both subjects and complete a certain number of credits in each area to earn a degree.

What are the benefits of pursuing a dual major in chemistry and physics or physics and math?

There are several benefits to pursuing a dual major in these subjects. Firstly, it allows students to gain a deeper understanding of the natural world by studying both the fundamental principles of chemistry and physics, as well as the mathematical concepts used to explain them. Additionally, having a strong background in both subjects can open up more career opportunities in fields such as research, engineering, and academia.

Can I pursue a dual major in chemistry and physics or physics and math at any university?

Not all universities offer dual major programs, and those that do may have different requirements and restrictions. It's important to research the specific programs and universities you are interested in to see if they offer a dual major in chemistry and physics or physics and math, and if you meet the qualifications to pursue it.

Is it possible to complete a dual major in chemistry and physics or physics and math in four years?

It is possible to complete a dual major in four years, but it may require careful planning and taking a heavy course load each semester. Students should work closely with their academic advisors to create a plan that meets all the requirements for both majors in a timely manner.

What career options are available to those with a dual major in chemistry and physics or physics and math?

Graduates with a dual major in these subjects have a wide range of career options available to them. Some may choose to pursue research positions in areas such as materials science, nanotechnology, or pharmaceuticals. Others may go into engineering, teaching, or even law. The strong analytical and problem-solving skills gained from a dual major can also be applied to various industries such as finance, consulting, or data analysis.