Center of mass of a triangle (uniform density)

In summary, the answer to the question is that the boundary values for y-integral for the right angled triangle are dependent on x.
Kenny Lee
The triangle has uniform surface mass density of. The method that I've been taught involves some basic integration and substitution of dm for (Density X dA). And then substituting dA with one expression in terms of dy, and another in terms of dx.

I don't really like the method I was taught... 'feels' inconsistent. I don't like having to look at the graph to determine an expression for dA... I keep thinking that if the problem gets tougher, like with some complex graph, then I'm screwed.

What I was wondering however, is if we could use double integration to solve it? I haven't really learned double integration, but I've sort of used it for moments of areas.
So for example, maybe we could make the substitution dm = (density) dx dy?
Then do some fancy math? It just seems more logical. I hope I'm making sense. Any advise?

Physics news on Phys.org
The answer is "Yes, you can use double integration to find the center of mass." E.g., finding the x coordinate of the CM would look like

[tex]\bar x = \int x dx dy[/itex]

and involves somewhat complicated boundary values in x and y for arbitrary orientations of the triangle. However, if you are interested in a shortcut, notice that the integrated function eventually gets evaluated at the vertices of the triangle and, in the case of uniformly distributed mass, the coordinates of the CM is just the average position of the 3 vertices!

Thx for rply. So for the right angled triangle, what would the boundary values be? Would that be 'complicated' as well? Cause if it is, then I guess I'll just forget about it... at least now I know its possible to do it by double integration.

it might also be good to use Pappus' theorem here, wouldn't it?

Kenny Lee said:
Thx for rply. So for the right angled triangle, what would the boundary values be?
Let's put the right angled triangle with its right angle in the x-y crossing.
Now let x run from 0 to a (the length of the x-side). Within this x-integral, x has a definite value, and for that value, you have to find the y-range.
Clearly for x=0, the y-range is the entire y-side (call it b): so y runs from 0 to b.
Also, for x = a, the y-range is reduced to 0. So the limits on the y-range of the y-integral will be dependent on x. The lower boundary of y will always be 0, it is the upper boundary that is changing. And it will clearly be a linear function of x.
So y_up(x) = A x + B and we know that y_up(x=0) = b and y_up(x=a) = 0, which allow you to solve for A and B
It will result in:
y_up(x) = b/a(a-x) = b - b/a x
So we have now everything:
[tex] \int _{x=0}^a dx \int_{y=0}^{b-\frac{b}{a}x} dy x[/tex]

Huh? Yea, it'll take a bit to digest everything. Thx for additional info. I'll also have a look at Pappus' theorem... saw it on google. Wasn't sure if it applied tho.

1. What is the center of mass of a triangle?

The center of mass of a triangle is the point where the mass of the triangle is evenly distributed. It is also known as the centroid, and it is the balance point of the triangle.

2. How is the center of mass of a triangle calculated?

The center of mass of a triangle can be calculated by finding the average of the x-coordinates and the average of the y-coordinates of the three vertices of the triangle. This can be represented by the formula (x1 + x2 + x3)/3, (y1 + y2 + y3)/3.

3. Does the center of mass of a triangle lie inside the triangle?

Yes, the center of mass of a triangle always lies inside the triangle, regardless of its shape or size.

4. How does the center of mass of a triangle change if the triangle's shape is altered?

The center of mass of a triangle will change if the shape of the triangle is altered. It will move towards the side with a larger area or mass. If the shape is changed to an isosceles or equilateral triangle, the center of mass will be located at the intersection of the medians.

5. Why is the center of mass of a triangle important?

The center of mass of a triangle is important because it helps in determining the stability and balance of the triangle. It is also used in various applications, such as engineering and physics, to calculate the overall mass and moment of inertia of a triangle. Additionally, it is a key concept in understanding the principle of moments and the behavior of objects in rotational motion.