Calculating Minimum Coefficient of Friction for Safe Highway Curves

• Thread starter shawpeez
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses a banked circular highway curve designed for traffic moving at 60km/h with a radius of 200m. The question is posed about the minimum coefficient of friction needed for cars to safely take the turn at 40km/h in rainy conditions. The conversation suggests drawing a diagram and using equations to solve for the coefficient, assuming there is no angle given and no friction in rainy conditions.
shawpeez
A banked circular highway curve is designed for traffic moving at 60km/h. The radius of the curve is 200m. Traffic is moving along the highway at 40km/h on a rainy day. What is the minimum coeficient of friction between tires and road that will alow cars to take the turn without sliding off the road? (assume the cars do not have negative lift.)

I have a feeling Centripetal force is involved, but it gives no mass of a vehicle. I m pretty much lost, could someone point me in the right direction please!:smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
Draw a diagram, in a problem like this, it is crucial. Write down the equations you think you need. Try to solve for the coefficent. Mass will cancel out. Is the angle given?

no there is no angle given

Well then I suppose you are supposed to assume there's no friction when it rains.

1. What does "getting started" mean in the scientific context?

In the scientific context, "getting started" refers to the process of initiating a research project or experiment by establishing the research question, developing a hypothesis, and designing the methodology.

2. What are some tips for getting started with a research project?

Some tips for getting started with a research project include: clearly defining the research question, conducting a thorough literature review, and consulting with colleagues or mentors for advice and feedback.

3. How do I know if my research project is ready to be started?

A research project is ready to be started when you have a well-defined research question, a solid understanding of the existing research on the topic, and a clear plan for how you will conduct the study.

4. What are the common challenges when getting started with a research project?

Some common challenges when getting started with a research project include: identifying a research question that is feasible and relevant, obtaining funding or resources, and navigating any ethical considerations.

5. How can I stay organized and motivated while getting started with a research project?

To stay organized and motivated while getting started with a research project, it can be helpful to create a timeline or schedule, break the project into smaller tasks, and regularly check in with colleagues or mentors for accountability and support.